Proof of Road tax

Terry Everall

For road going classes it seems like a good idea to print off your car Tax details from www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

The scrutineers are suggesting that the need to prove a car is currently taxed is with the competitor!

I think we will have to see exactly how the Scrutineers are going to play this one

in my first event I was contacted already to ask why mine was not taxed.. as it was sorn till 1st march.

so they are checking when you enter

At the end of the day I think an MOT is proof of road going for the year and tax is just TAX so why can't the MSA see it that way

Because not all road going cars need an MoT ?? :)

You could have a valid MOT but no tax.

The road going classes specify that all car must be insured , taxed and have an MOT. Docs are often requested and checked by the scrutineers

• 2 weeks later...

So.............

If my car is in road-going condition i.e it is MOT'd, insured but not taxed; what class would I be able to complete in?

For various reasons I do not want to tax and use my Westie on the road, only using the car for trackdays and the (hopefully) occasional sprint. I am simply not going to spend an extra £230 just to comply with a rule that has no effect on performance. My car has a windscreen, road tyres (Toyo T1R) full lights etc. and if placed in the class with non- road cars would mean that undoubtably I am placed in the bottom place. 

So.............

If my car is in road-going condition i.e it is MOT'd, insured but not taxed; what class would I be able to complete in?

For various reasons I do not want to tax and use my Westie on the road, only using the car for trackdays and the (hopefully) occasional sprint. I am simply not going to spend an extra £230 just to comply with a rule that has no effect on performance. My car has a windscreen, road tyres (Toyo T1R) full lights etc. and if placed in the class with non- road cars would mean that undoubtably I am placed in the bottom place.

For the purposes of the Speed Series classes I imagine it would be class G or H if not currently taxed, mot'd, insured and therefore "road legal". More importantly if not the car is not taxed and therefore not competing in a road legal condition then it would also need a MSA log book.

So.............

Good point!

For rallying at most single venues you only need to have an MOT as proof that the car is road legal. You do not need to have road tax unless the event takes part or on parts of the public road, e.g. non competitive road sections between stages.

Log book, good point.

At Hullavington, we asked for the MOT and a signed declaration for tax and insurance, and it kept the MSA Steward happy.  This goes back to not accepting insurance certificates, as they can be cancelled for a number of reasons and you can't expect the signing on team to deal with potentially complicated insurance documents