Vinyl wrapping

Jonk179

If position is important, spray the part and vinyl sticky side with water with a small amount of washing up liquid in it.

You can then slide the vinyl around, position it the squeese out the water with a flat edge.

As above above heat to shrink it around curves

hope this helps

I just pinched one of the kids hair dryers, that was more than enough heat to mould it around shapes.

Andy

I just pinched one of the kids hair dryers, that was more than enough heat to mould it around shapes.

Andy

...and did you do it twice - first time to distort, second time to eradicate tbe memory?

...and did you do it twice - first time to distort, second time to eradicate tbe memory?

No just heated as needed, as I fitted it.

When you apply heat a second time it tries to revert back to its original shape.

If you only apply heat where required it's quite easy to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the difference between 3m Di-Noc c/f and 3m Scotchcal c/f ??

I bought some of the later to cover the new aluminium switch panel I made up last week and i'm wondering if i've got the wrong stuff :(.

Looking more closely, it might be some sort of counterfeit junk. Still, at least it only cost me a couple of £ for an A4 sheet.......... Worst comes to worst, i'll strip it down and spray it matt black.

I've ordered some from ebay to cover a pair of cycle wings, will be interesting to see how it goes.

My m8 has done a bit with 3M dinoc, he said only thing to watch out for is distorting the carbon pattern on shaped parts.

Had my car wrapped yesterday by a 3M approved fitter and he said heating the second time is one of the most important things people don't do.

Not required all over, but on parts where you have shaped it/stretched etc.

First heating when pulling/stretching gives it the shape, then the second heating resets the vinyls memory.

He said if I removed the vinyl carefully now from my nose cone it woukd still be in the shape of it!

He recommends 3M 1080 series vinyl as it is automotive grade, Dy-noc is not automotive grade and is much thicker.

He said it's fine for use on flat panels but any shaped panels will be much better done in 1080.

Also there is no need to use water at all now with modern decent brand vinyls, as they all have air release technology to remove bubbles etc.

• Like 1

That looks wicked!

Pic was taken last night about 6.30 so light was fading too,nice sunny day and it will look brighter.

Had some of mine wrapped in 3M as the weave and finish of the orignal parts did not really match and the finish was poor.

The 3M came out looking great..

10530928_456600311157211_398612468025251

10930189_456027781214464_910256408348404