Vinyl wrapping

Jonk179

Hi all, I'm thinking of having a go at vinyl wrapping some bits on the westy and wondered if anyone has done this and has any hints or tips? I want to use the carbon fibre look wrap. I've looked on fleabay but not sure which one is the best to use or how it looks when done.

Thanks

I've used 3M Di-noc carbon wrap before.

This guy is preety good with it.

The heat is important as it stays put and forms easyer.

I've used 3M Dinoc for the inside panels, not the real thing but also not the high price of real carbon panels.

3M Carbon Fibre Dinoc comes in black, silver and white.    Various length rolls can be bought from Carbonmods website.

Flat panels are easy to cover with out air bubbles I found and if you do get it wrong just warm it up, pull it off and start again.  The nose cone would be the biggest challenge though and will probably need some darts & cuts to get a good finish.

IMG_2304_zpsc27d1252.jpg

I just order some samples of ebay, I brought the one that looked the best & went on the easiest it was from

SBKH vinly. It isn't di-noc so very reasonably priced, seems good quality but time will tell.

1F0F7AD6-F8B0-4C7C-A50B-767394C4C346_zps

That's a spot of luck. I was looking at this just the other day and had been reading/watching videos of vinyl wrapping. I'd be interested to see how you get on.

Good work Sycho and Sooty. Looks great :yes:

I'm currently wrapping my internal panels, 3M-Di NOC black carbon wrap from eBay, gotta say I'm pleased with the results. Trick is to take your time.

FC336E6F-FEB2-450A-BE08-B9E0B3E64C17.jpg

• Like 2

What have used to edge the top and side of the tunnel as it looks very neat SootSport.

Just some black PVC angle from B&Q riveted in place.

Carbon Mods is where I bought mine, comes in a cardboard tube undamaged and you can buy any length. There is only one roll width 1220mm.      3M Dinoc is the best but as mentioned by others different brands are available at lesser cost.

I'm currently wrapping my internal panels, 3M-Di NOC black carbon wrap from eBay, gotta say I'm pleased with the results. Trick is to take your time.

Very nice work :yes:

• Like 1

Have you cut the edges flush with the ali?  Do you think it will peel away at the edges??

Looks really nice BTW  :)

Have you cut the edges flush with the ali? Do you think it will peel away at the edges??

Thanks for your comments.

I've wrapped a centimetre of overlap all the way around and cut the holes flush. Peeling concerned me, so I've left it in the garage to test weather/temperature impact and no sign of any degradation of the adhesive.

Moving on to transmission tunnel now.

...and cut the holes flush.

...and hey'll have grommets in them so they'll be fine  :)

Did you use any heat.   I've read 90C to distort the film over a bulge and then 90C again to stop it trying to shrink back again.  Is that right?? For all types of vinyl???

Just warming it with a heat gun helps forming around curves, even a hair drier works as well, 90deg. will probably burn the film.