Not got enough carbon?

John Loudon - Sponsorship Liaison

there's a lot of work involved and waste materials'i don't think people realise.

• Like 2

That's exactly why I'm asking :)

UK carbon prices for Westfields are a bit of a red herring on the whole, I suspect many are almost loss leaders; you've only got to look at how many businesses start offering it only to pull out when they realise how difficult it is to make a net profit.

Compare them to someone like Reverie or Westermann over in Germany to get an idea of where the prices perhaps should be, (from a manufacturers point of view). Trouble is the Westfield market just doesn't really seem to support those prices. It's a catch 22 situation for manufacturers.

• Like 1

First, let me thank the mystery bidder. :blush:

Second, just to put the price achieved by the two sets of side panels recently sold and under comment on this thread in perspective.

A pair of carbon cycle wings made in the usual way ( wet lay up, top skin carbon the rest grp) contain approximately less than 1/3 the carbon content of the side panels and yet sell for mostly £150 + and some are over the £200 mark..

So are the cycle wings expensive or are the side panels too cheap! :getmecoat:

Regards Mick

Very fair point Mick. I wonder how many of us have paid £40 each for the tiny little indicator pods or similar! Soon puts it in perspective.

Rich

Very fair point Mick. I wonder how many of us have paid £40 each for the tiny little indicator pods or similar! Soon puts it in perspective.

Rich

My point exactly, and yes, I paid that sort of money for a set of beautifully made Carbon Mods Caterham pods!

I know how much I paid for a (small) roll of carbon twill and bottle of resin plus hardener to make some brackets up. Even making your own gets dear fast.

These are worth easily the £407.67 reached by auction and are beautifully made , to be honest the value of what , the cost of prepreg materials are 3 x more expensive than wetlay and you use 3 x more as Mick mentions , if you can make small parts out of what would otherwise be wastage of course that helps with manufacturing costs . 

And as Dave quite rightly says if you look at Westermann/Mog (and adding the 19% German VAT on top) you get a real reflection of costings in the U.K. market . 

If I was in the market for sidepanels I wouldn't consider the £406.67 unreasonable . 

And not to thread hi-jack I will also put , no I'm not currently making any parts (other than those I have agreed to and am working through - yes I have some I am working on you know who you are;) , any news will be posted in sponsors section if this changes or is about to  . 

Julian.

Thanks for your comments.

I hope that the new venture is working out well for you.

Best regards Mick

• Like 1

Call me crazy but if you want GRP ones, what's wrong with using the existing bodywork cut and moved out on a simple right angled bracket?

Worked for me for years...

Call me crazy but if you want GRP ones, what's wrong with using the existing bodywork cut and moved out on a simple right angled bracket?

Holes on wrong side from engine swap.

Other people's crappy repairs! A full inch thick of filler where an old exhaust hole was. They must have filled the hole straight onto wet fibreglass on inside! As my car is painted I was looking for an easier less work solution to all the cutting out sanding and reprinting I need to do.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.