Aldi Compressor

DanDud

Had one from Aldi a few years back and it has served me well, to be honest this one looks a better spec than mine but may be worth checking out machine mart etc to see if its good value?

Had one from Aldi a few years back and it has served me well, to be honest this one looks a better spec than mine but may be worth checking out machine mart etc to see if its good value?

CLosest one I could find https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/airmaster-tiger-16510-3hp-50-litre-air-compre

Are the fittings on these universal? I notice they dont have a air powered drill on offer which is what I'd quite like...

There are about three/four airline fittings, including some which will take more than one different but similar fitting, however the fitting just screw into the body of the tool and can be interchanged as they are also fairly standard, the same thread in about three sizes. Hence without two much effort you can either change everything to be the same, or muddle on only occasionally finding you have the use a different hose or change the tools end fitting....

What do we think the chances of the £165 Aldi unit being made in the same factory as the £265 Machine Mart unit?

Daniel

I think 1 company makes them and everyone puts their name on ....

same compressor (but bigger tank) from SGS Tools ....  http://www.sgs-engineering.com/air-compressors/100-litre/sc100v-100-litre-high-flow-air-compressor

My Uncle (co-owner of the Westie) has a Sealey version, it's a few years old and slightly different to the current version, it ran a workshop with 4 mechanics for a couple of weeks when the main compressor went pop.

Everything seems to be made in one of about 5 Chinese factories nowadays, except Westfields of course

Everything seems to be made in one of about 5 Chinese factories nowadays, except Westfields of course

Now there's a thought......

Advantage - you'd be able to get one instantly (and all the spares at affordable prices)

Disadvantages - it'd break in 5 minutes

:d

Back to Aldi - I ended up with the 24ltr one from SGS http://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc24h-24-litre-high-flow-air-compressor as last time Aldi had a 24ltr one they had to withdraw it "for technical reasons" - although it reappeared a few weeks later (probably had the wrong type of electrical plug fitted). I really don't have the garage space for a 50ltr version anyway.

I did buy a few of the Aldi "Workzone" air tools though - they do the job and reasonable price but they're not the lightest of material (they're certainly not lightweight aluminium so could become physically tiring after a while).

I had the Aldi filter/regulator. 

It it was wall mounted in the garage, the compressor in adjoining building, (so much quieter like that!) the co pressers own regulator was set to about 6 bar at the time, plenty for the tools in use. While Id adjust the working pressure for different tools from the filter/regulator. At least that was the plan. Fitted Saturday morning, come the afternoon, just steeped out the garage door to work on the Westdield when there was an almighty bang, a huge whooshing/hissing noise and the tinkle of things falling off shelves in the garage.

The filter/regulator had exploded, sending shards of shrapnel from the clear bowls all round the garage, knocking stuff over. Thank God I'd just stepped out of range.

The chisel I got from them at the same time works fine. The spot sandblasted, after blowing the threads out, (I swear you could chew the metal it's so soft), but I repaired and has been OK. I had a drill, but there's so much play in it, it only drills triangular holes!

I know someone that had a cut off saw, they seem to reckon that was alright. The compressors too, seem OK!

Oh, and I've got a DA sander from them, though to be fair it was much dearer than the other air tools, though not dear-dear, and is branded differently and that's been really good, no problems at all!

I had a look in one of the local largish Aldis in Bristol this afternoon, and they've got lots of air tools, but no compressors. e.g.  Impact drivers, rachets, nail guns, cutters and sanders.

I had a look in one of the local largish Aldis in Bristol this afternoon, and they've got lots of air tools, but no compressors. e.g.  Impact drivers, rachets, nail guns, cutters and sanders.

Same at my local Aldi. They told me they had six compressors in this morning, three left at 10:00am and none this afternoon when I went in for something else.

Had a stack of them at my local. I grabbed a couple of the tools as I have a decent compressor already.