Stelvio Pass

Petemac

In 2013 I planned to go to the Stelvio pass for a few days just to see the sights and so on, that was until  a 35 ton tipper truck decided to run into the back of me and the rest is history.

Now a couple of years later and with a new chassis and body (not my body sadly) I'm keen to have another look and give it some thought, if memory serves me correctly I think Pistol Pete said he may be going this year and I believe some of you have done the trip already. I am getting mixed views from some of my mates who have stated I may be disappointed, not sure why!  I have no intention of racing around something I am not familiar with and basically will be going to see the sights and chill out.

Any info regarding above trip would as always be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance I'm thinking September ish if all goes well.

Petemac

Yes, was looking at this year....however pending house purchase and unwilling passenger has kinda stopped/postponed it for now.

The biggest issue I can see with the trip is that however you cut its a long way to get to the playground, especially if you keep off the motorway network.

However, some of the SKCC boys are going again this year, detail here:

http://southernkitcars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6271

Hoping Sept'ish next year (2016) with Mancs tour.

I would say September is the latest to go. I went end of August early September and there was a couple of cm of snow over night

Stelvio Pass closed to cars 29/08/2015 for annual bicycle day. Also September could be snowy at 10000 ft altitude. I once had heavy snow in the French Alps in August so maybe July would be a better time for your trip. Pass opens around mid June.

Enjoy planning your adventure.

Going in June, but using leg power as opposed to Westie power. Can let you know what our hotel is like if you are not booking soon?

Pete,

Went up the Stelvio a couple of years ago on a motorbike, something I had wanted to do for 20+ years and it is mind blowing, in fact I went back to the village of Stelvio and climbed it again. There is a guy at the top called Bruno who sells possibly the greatest bratwurst you will ever eat, fluent in over 10 languages and a real character. A few days later we went back and climbed it from the Swiss side, just as good and about 4 more hairpins.

A word of warning though, Switzerland is more expensive than you can possibly imagine for food and accommodation, fuel not too bad. If I was to do the Stelvio again, and I will, then I would book a hotel in Livigno which is an Italian tax free village within Switzerland where everything is affordable and you are within 30 miles of the top of the Stelvio.

You can view the summit of the Stelvio via www.alpineroads.com, click on the pass conditions and there are two web cams streaming a live feed from the top of the Stelvio. The snow there is currently about 15 feet deep but will be cleared by the end of May, it will return late September/early October.

If you want any more pointers or ideas for other cols in that area let me know and I will see what routes I have, you could do a lot worse than get a copy of 'Motorcycle Journeys Through The Alps and Beyond by John Hermann, ISBN 978-1-884313-70-7 which will give you more food for thought than you ever imagined.

Hope this helps

Ian

Thanks Ian if I have any other questions I will let you know, I just hope it goes to plan this time especially after the last incident with the tipper truck. 

Great club this mate great people thanks again Ian.

Pete