Off to Northampton Motorsport in the morning...

benedwards64

After stripping back my old dash (now BCF's new dash) I quickly worked out that a) there have been some fairly spectacular bodges made to the wiring in my car and b) my electrical expertise is basically nil. After a fairly sheepish conversation with the guys at NMS it's going in tomorrow to have the new dash and switchgear installed. Depending on budget I may also be looking at an Omex mappable ignition system, and possibly some new suspension..... time will tell on that one I think.

The Westie was pulled out of hibernation last week, I connected everything up and (after turning over with the main lead off a few times) it started up  with no fuss at all. Who said Fiat engines were temperamental?! 

First time towing tomorrow for both me and the tow-car (complete with newly-fitted tow hook):

Tw6KV6f.jpg

temporary_zps031e5bc6.jpg

After considering purchasing a trailer of my own, I've found a local plant hire place who will rent me a suitable car trailer for £30 for the whole weekend! No brainer, really  :d

Will update as we go...  :)

Cheers Gary. I suspect things won't be as simple as I hope (part and parcel of having an 'unusual' car - something I'm used to with a string of weird Jap imports!) but hopefully it'll be back in action by the end of March. At least I have an entertaining daily to keep me amused :)

Well done, just the wait now, it's like Christmas Eve for grown ups!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, an update of sorts. Their aluminium fabricator has been off sick for a while so no pricing as yet on the dash setup. I'll also need to get all new sensors (which I knew) which may be a bit tricky to acquire for an old Twink lump (which I also knew). More on that soon hopefully. I've been kind of tempted by a Racetech Dash 2 (http://www.race-technology.com/dash2_2_31.html) but it's a bit more than I want to spend... although having one properly set up and configured is tempting. We shall see, depends largely on the difference in overall cost but it's fairly tempting.

On the plus side it sounds like the Omex mappable ignition is a goer - it should help the day-to-day driveability given that at present it has a few issues surrounding the aggressive cams and high-comp pistons. Effectively the timing is set perfectly for one point in the rev range, and everywhere else it's out slightly, resulting in a bit of bogging down while off cam. The car has already had a lot of carb tuning done by Torque Tune (to the Bogg Brothers R1 carb conversion) and a mappable ignition will help make the most of this. EFI would be nice as well, but it's far too pricey for me as a complete package.

More news this week with any luck :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, to continue my tradition of changing my mind...

Racetech is out in favour of the traditional gauges I originally wanted. Omex is also going to wait as well... in weighing up the drivability gains between sorting the ignition and sorting the suspension, being able to drive it on British B-roads won out! So a new set of Avo shocks will be going on, along with a corner weight and geo set up.

There's been a bit of a delay at NMS due to staff sickness, but sounds like it's all ticking along nicely by now. Clocks are changing this weekend.... really looking forward to levering myself into the tiny cockpit again  :laugh: