Taking Fuel to a Track Day

KugaWestie

On hot track days it pays, I find, to tilt the jerry can so that the opening is the highest point when you release the toggle on the cap. There's usually a gush of fumes which, if it were simply standing level and full of fuel, might be a gush of expensive petrol!

I have been seen at my local Shell place with two x twenty litre jerrys and three x five litre plastic cans - the jerry cans for Optimax for my lad's Z4M and the gallon cans for the ordinary unleaded for my Westfield. They are happy with two successive purchases but no more without paying in between. The jerry cans go in the rear footwells of my tow car, and the gallon cans in the footwells of the Westfield. Plastic cans stink so you don't want them in your tin top unless you especially like fumes...

Oh, and as said above, remember the funnel or you'll be trying to pour the petrol through a rolled up newspaper as I saw one chap doing at a track day!

never had a problem filling jerry cans when the westy and jerry cans are on the trailer - have been asked frequently to show my jerry cans when I have had them in the boot of the car though

I think most use a common sense policy these days

oh and 2 x 20 litre jerry cans and a full tank of fuel is only just enough if you are doing it right :d:p

oh and 2 x 20 litre jerry cans and a full tank of fuel is only just enough if you are doing it right :d:p

..and it frequently isn't enough! ;)  Never had any trouble filling up jerry cans in the past decade or so.. 

From my own view, I do transport both plastic and metal containers in my Westie, but always remind myself to secure them with a ratchet strap or harness as these things are not good flying around in the cockpit in a sudden braking manouvere?

I prefer metal and very carefully tied down too :-)

Well, I better hang on to the 3x 20 litre jerry cans I have stashed then! Thought I might only need one...

..and it frequently isn't enough! ;)  Never had any trouble filling up jerry cans in the past decade or so.. 

Amen - had a few days when I have been starting to suffer from fuel surge at the end of the day - luckily I am getting tired and have generally had enough by this time anyway

I never make mistakes at the end of the day, do I Andrew ? :blush:

Amen - had a few days when I have been starting to suffer from fuel surge at the end of the day - luckily I am getting tired and have generally had enough by this time anyway

I never make mistakes at the end of the day, do I Andrew ? :blush:

Must be the "oh just one last lap" syndrome!

Must be the "oh just one last lap" syndrome!

video evidence of that somewhere :blush:

On my one and only track day I used the same 20L plastic jerry can off eBay. Also took a 5L plastic one too, had plenty for the day.

The cheap cans work fine for the price.

Going back to the original question re. Silverstone.  I did a track day there in November and there is a petrol station right next to the pit lane.  If you are concerned about driving there with full jerry cans of fuel, take them empty and fill them when you get there.

I got told off for filling up the tow car with the window open.  I know petrol fumes can be dangerous, but its a diesel.  They must send these people on a health and safety course once in a blue moon