Taking Fuel to a Track Day

KugaWestie

there are rules but last time i went to a track day i took a westy full and 2x20L liter cans stuffed in the foot well!

i just filled them up at my local supermarket after hours at a PAYG pump.

depends on what they call storage ..... i'd used them up by the end of the day! :d

Fill them up surreptitiously (word of the day) and they wouldn't tell if it was a big can or your car.

I used to fill up a 30 litre plastic container for my microlight, while adding in the 2 stroke mix - never had a problem.

But have seen the 'no more than 10Litre can' stickers on a few pumps. 

My plan is to fill up on seperate days.

I have gone for two 20L containers, hopefully I can get them full up easily.

That will give me enough for the day with a full tank to start :devil:  :db-westy:

I always  fill my 2x20L Jerry cans at the local garage with no problem, never been challenged.      If you read RussH 's post it's quite clear on what can transport, he should know as he's in the fuels business.

I for one would NOT use 20L. plastic containers, just doesn't seem safe to me.  

I would not store petrol in a garage or house, best to leave outside away from buildings but covered with some sort of sheeting to keep the cans out of direct sunlight.

I always  fill my 2x20L Jerry cans at the local garage with no problem, never been challenged.      If you read RussH 's post it's quite clear on what can transport, he should know as he's in the fuels business.

I for one would NOT use 20L. plastic containers, just doesn't seem safe to me.  

I would not store petrol in a garage or house, best to leave outside away from buildings but covered with some sort of sheeting to keep the cans out of direct sunlight.

What is the problem with a plastic container?

The fuel wont be in there long, and the container will not be totally full, and tucked away out of sunlight

I'm just an old soldier Gary,  metal is best and the strongest.   The Army have used Jerry cans since the year dot and are well proven as they do get plenty of abuse.

If your plastic ones are specifically for fuels then that is not a problem.

Yes they are fuel specific.

I am not intending to throw them around, so I am sure they will be fine ;)

Yes they are fuel specific.

I am not intending to throw them around, so I am sure they will be fine ;)

If I run out of fuel you can throw some my way :) ,  I'm known for using a lot of the stuff having a carbed engine.

As with all things it is designed to stop the stupid blowing themselves up. It all changed when the last fuel shortage found people were turning up with anything that held fuel and filling up. This ended with a woman being killed when she was cooking with 46 gallons of petrol in her kitchen which went bang.

Since then fuel stations have tried to limit people, but I just pull up open the back and fill up with no hassle, never been challenged.

As with all things basic safety, always have a suitable fire exthinghuiser handy at all times and keep away from those who like smoking whilst filling up. 

Personal opinion only here and a bit "old school" wouldn't entertain plastic petrol containers other than a single small lawnmower size 5 litre one, any bigger and I shudder. I use two 20 litre metal jerry cans and they are strong secure and not too heavy. Never had a problem filling them up either, maybe its the grey head. 47 years in the petrochemical industry makes you a bit wary.

Bob :(

What I didn't like about the plastic cans is the way they expand with the heat from the gearbox tunnel. They look fit to burst by the time you arrive at the track. I use a metal 10l one now, fits in the footwell perfectly.