O/T Led fitting size at home - Solved in 15 minutes!

Rory's Dad

It would be easy really - find a fitting that would take either a 60w or 75w bulb for use in a small shower room.  And if I get it wrong  I can go and change the bulb for something brighter or dimmer. 

So I'm now thinking about getting something like this but what size and power do I need??  Has anyone got a conversion factor??  Important because if I get it wrong I have to carve a new hole for a new fitting to get more light.

Looking forward to your advice - thanks.

10w led is about 60w of the old type incandescent bulb, make sure you go for the warm white as the others make the room feel stark and odd!

If panels are the same as LED bulbs then 10W LED approximates to 60/70W incandescent or possible even a bit brighter.  Look at the output in lumens - those panels are 70-80 lumens per watt and:

• 40-watt incandescent bulb = 450 lumens
  • 60-watt incandescent bulb = 800 lumens
  • 100-watt incandescent bulb = 1600 lumens

And yes, definitely go for warm white

I just fitted 4 of these (24W square ones) in a rental Kitchen I am refurbishing - Very pleasantly surprised how good they are - far far better than any fluorescents.

Instant light and very even spread (I was worried they might look 'pixellated'.)

As said, go for warm white (slightly less light output but much better light).

Dave.

I moved into a 'new' house a couple of years ago and am still trying to optimise the lighting in the kitchen. The late lamented owner (she died on holiday in Serbia!) had no fewer than six 120W PAR38 fittings let into a pine strip finish ceiling. Apart from the 1970s aspect of the pine ceiling which will go one day, 720W of light is enough for a small film set and was costing a fair bit to run. I have gone through CFL PAR38 lamps (23W) which are painfully dim from cold, to http://tinyurl.com/lgyy86y LED PAR38s. These are okay but they are still PAR38 and allow warm and moist air into the ceiling void from the cooking processes. The ones in Martin's link look perfect because they will fit into the cut-outs already in place (12W ones, 150/170mm diameter), provide a decent light (I hope) and act as a seal to the holes in the ceiling.

I eagerly look forward to your reaction to yours once in place, Martin.

All fitted and working!

Quality of light amazing for something so thin - absolutely even light from edge to edge.  Gets a bit warm but no more.  Has spring clips to hold it into plasterboard (or pine boarding MOTCO),  All for £10.95 - just Brilliant!

Thanks Martin, I'll get one to try in the holes and buy the remaining five if it looks as good as it sounds. :t-up:

Daughter has come to stay and is very impressed!  I showed her the box to demonstrate how thin it was.  "What's elefgant appearance?" she asked.  Answer is 'Made in China'  :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:

Slowly working towards total LED lighting as new variations come out.  At approximately 1/6 to 1/8 of the power consumption of incandescents the payback is a year to two and I may never have to replace a bulb again 'cos LEDs last.  Doesn't pay to replace the CFLs with LEDs yet, though, so have to wait for them to die (by which time the LEDs will be cheaper).  Exchanged some 42w halogen with 10w LED yesterday.  Both supposed to be equivalent to 60w incandescent, but room is much brighter now. 

My only beef with most low energy lighting units is that they consistently fail to deliver the 'equivalence' they promise. Twenty five Watts from a CFL is really not the same as 100W of incandescent, and a 5.3W LED GU5.3 is not the same as a 50W halogen. Now I routinely add a fiddle factor and assume that I need 30% more wattage to equate to the alleged old system output. Yes I know it's all about lumens not Watts, but when they claim a 7W LED is equal to a 23W CFL which in its turn represents a 100W filament bulb, I smell rodents of the larger variety. That aside, my bills are tangibly reduced already and I only have to sell £70 worth of experimentally bought lamps to break even! 

:durr:

My 12 Watt round unit arrived and is fitted. The location I chose is the one ceiling hole that was cut badly and unfortunately the flange doesn't quite close off the aperture. So, as the next size up (15w) is only a few millimetres bigger I have ordered one of those. It that fits without too much hole adjustment I'll try the 12w one in each of the other holes. They look more carefully cut so I should get away with five @ 12w and one @ 15w.

I have to say that the light output is remarkable and I expect to have a more evenly lit kitchen in the near future. :t-up: