70 years anniversary..

alexander72

i have just watched a programme on the Liberation Anniversary of Aushwitz...... Humbling....

Will have to watch that, what channel was it on?

It's a very humbling place. I was there a few years ago, about this time of year and could believe how cold it was, and they were in not a lot more than pyjamas. A truly humbling experience and something that should never happen again, frightening to see what the human race is capable of.

I have never been but I also have no desire to do so. I went to Oradour in France which featured an atrocity where the Nazis slaughtered a whole village, women and children. The place had an aura of death about it, no birds sang. I am not an emotional man but I could not walk the whole length of the village as I was so upset by the feelings that surrounded me on that day.

We should never forget the suffering that was given to Jews, disabled, mentally ill, gypsis or any group that did not fit in with the the "pure". The sad thing is some of the conditions that gave rise to the Nazis in the 30s are now developing no in many countries and the far right is becoming popular. We must stand against such people. 

Went to Saxenhausen outside Berlin and that was bad enough, dark, gloomy and full of bad history.

Bob :(:down: