Abandoned projects and Hobbies.

SootySport

I've two old Kwackers in the garage next to the Westy - but the car is taking priority over the bikes for now.

Here's one of them - currently has the head off awaiting a top end rebuild:

Moriwaki.jpg

and the other - this needs it's gpZ11 motor rebuilding completely. Has a big bore kit, flowed head, big valves, Mikuni RS38's and a lockup clutch. 

2012-10-06%2014.30.57.jpg

Been a good 10yrs since they ran!

In a similar vein--  A friend at work, Barry, some years ago  started, about 10 I think, an Anglia 105E restoration. This developed into making the car more suitable for todays traffic and he was converting the power department to a Zetec with Omex Fuel injection. The suspension was being converted to macpherson strut and coils all round, along with a more modern steering rack.

He would often show us  photo's of his welding work and  regular progress reports of how the car was coming along. Barry was one of those really helpful guys that gave good advice, lent out tools and occasionally came round to my house to offer support when I was doing my vehicular projects. The cynical ones often joked with him about if he would ever finish the project and he often replied that he would die before the car was back on the road.

Sadly just over a year ago he died from  cancer of the stomach and other organ failures, the illness was only diagnosed 4 months before his sad departure from this world.

He was a regular & respected contributor to the forum '105E Speed' .  Some weeks after he died,  his family gave the Anglia project to a member of the Forum,  with the promise that the Anglia rebuild was completed.

This is a sad tale of an unfinished project and I'll will find out one day if Barry's Anglia was returned to the road.

I have to admit to a number of "projects" that never quite made it to the finished state - Anglia 105e, Ford Capri, Arran 18 yacht, our first house, our current house..... :d

Trouble was (note the use of the word "was") I had a fair amount of money with a good job but time starved with just weekends to cram your life into - so projects tended to get put to the back of the queue or left to fester. I have managed however to complete two projects to my (our) satisfaction - a complete refurb of a Sterling Sabre 28ft motor boat and our Land Rover Defender (though tba there are still a few little "upgrades" to do). Unfortunately the boat had to go and I probably lost the best part of £8k as you never really get back what you put in.

The Westfield is purely in "ongoing tinkering" mode and is now rebuilt to my satisfaction (and will never be sold as I've spent so much on it) - I'm now retired so loads of time but not so much money  :( and less desire to do things I know I can't physically do anymore (no sniggering please :p ) - if ever I get the urge (for car or boat projects please) then I just go on eBay and read the "only bought this heap of junk last year as a project and haven't had time............" adverts - stops any desire to buy something as a "project" but just make sure you're not signed in and haven't had a drink !  :)     

I think some people like the idea of finishing a project, but realise they've waded in above their neck with respect to their level of ability/talent.

Some people take on a project, run into a stubbling block or run out of spare time and then once they've dropped it, they're put off by not being able to remember where they got up to with it.

Small scale one for me. Back in '91 while on holiday in the states, bought a kit for a Corsair F4U. Also bought the pneumatic retracts kit to go with. I part-built the fuselage and tail, put the wing mainspar together....and that was it. It was still in that state 2 years ago when I gave my entire collection of RC aircraft, helis , tools, accesories etc etc to a lad that lived over the road. Gave up on the hobby entirely - didn't see the point in transporting all that clutter to the new home. Started the interest in toy planes in 1967, ended it in 2013.

I started to build a Westfield in 1995 and by 1998 it still wasn't finished and due to finances it had to be sold. Move forward to 2000 and I bought a VW type 2 camper van. 2 years later with stuff still to do, I ran out of interest and it got sold.

I also started but never finished a DB Auster kit and Topflite Zero RC planes. Again I lost interest and they got put up in the attic and when I went to get them years later they were firewood (well, not worth trying to rescue anyway).

And this is why it is important to have friends and be part of a club like this. When others have hit the wall, many like me will go around and help to get peoples MOJO back.

The sense of achievement in completing any project is immense and why for me failure to complete something is a thorn in my side. 

And this is why it is important to have friends and be part of a club like this. When others have hit the wall, many like me will go around and help to get peoples MOJO back.

The sense of achievement in completing any project is immense and why for me failure to complete something is a thorn in my side. 

I couldn't agree more with your 2 statements Jeff.     Help from buddies in club is invaluable.

I would like to have more projects, and time and space for them, although one unfinished project is the garage so that would be a start!

Most of my 'projects' however are more "never ended" than "unfinished" such as owning a steam power narrowboat, a house that was a lot cheaper than it should have been, and a Westfield...

Daniel