Abandoned projects and Hobbies.

SootySport

I'm curious why some people can throw large amounts of dosh on Projects & Hobbies but don't use or play with them. For instance, a friend nearby has the following stored-

3 motorbikes in various states of repair but non roadworthy, one of which is a Harley that he was customising into a chopper style bike.

Jet ski that he rammed into a jetty 1st. time out in the water and sits on a purpose built trailer for the last 5 years, still damaged.

A Dutton kit car that he started 20 years ago and hasn't gotten past the rolling chassis stage, the Pinto engine is well seized.

A Ford Pop E93a that was intended to be drag strip motor, V8 engine is sitting in the garden rusted up.

Speedboat upside down with holes in the hull that he stared repairing 10 or so years ago.

He's just bought a newish Doge Ram truck and fitted a tow bar to pull his toys about but I can't see that happing anytime soon.

All this is housed in a garage that he started a long long time ago and still has no doors and half a roof LOL. The block walls are now crumbling as they have never been rendered or painted.

Just wondered if any WSSC members had good intentions for a Hobby or project that never come to fruition.

3 years ago I built a patio but I still haven't finished the wall around the edge of it. Then again, I never did get around to landscaping the garden after I finished renovating the house and building the garage.

Last winter I pulled out my hedge to replace with a fence... I still have 2 posts and panels left to fit.

And I have a spare single seater in the garage to build after I finish the first one.

Sshhhhhh

Not you as well :(

3 years ago I built a patio but I still haven't finished the wall around the edge of it. Then again, I never did get around to landscaping the garden after I finished renovating the house and building the garage.

Last winter I pulled out my hedge to replace with a fence... I still have 2 posts and panels left to fit.

And I have a spare single seater in the garage to build after I finish the first one.

At least I know you do eventually come good on your projects Mark.

I have done this twice, in my past to my shame. First one was when I lived in Yorkshire, I built a V8 ford pop which only needed painting. I then had to move to Bristol where I had no garage, so a friend made me an offer which returned a profit and I sold it to him. He had it painted and it is still around today.

So fast forward 5 years, mow got a garage so I start on another Ford pop with V8, got on well with that but then was given a drive in a Dutton at Castle Combe, which made me think about the car I was building.

So I advertised it half heartedly and it sold for a huge profit and I bought my First Westfield.

The Ford Pop is my only failure to finish something I started, not once but twice. Deep down it is a open wound that still hurts and may require me to have a third go one day!!! 

But over the years I have met many who take on hobbies with obsessive levels of time and expense which they give up after 6 months tops. Perhaps it is a man thing that makes us throw money at inanimate objects. If you ever want to see real hope over any common sense walk around any boat yard and see men trying to reconstruct sailing boats with no experience, a ruler, a hammer, a saw and a big pot of paint, the only tools they have.

Bought a pre airflow mk1 cortina with great ideas for it as it was completely original

Ripped all the brakes apart and replaced with new old stock so it could be moved about

Converted to alternator - just a pair of sills and strut tops to do

Parked it up while i did some diy

When i went back to it the brakes were seized again so i sold ot to my mate at a loss

He cut the sills off - lost interest too and scrapped it

I did , however complete a mk3 zephyr and used it as a daily driver and a 67 mustang , which i drove a couple of times after finishing it - then sold it at a loss

I'm thinking about the farm where I picked up a pile of Westfield parts.  The farm had the usual collection of barns and sheds and there were unfinished projects in all of them.  Maybe it just needed tidying up.  Farmer was a lovely guy tho'.

Where should I start!

VW Camper - Found the engine was a 1300cc. Should be a 1600cc originally so bought a 1600cc engine for it... sitting in the van its self currently rather than fitted.... Off the road for over 2 years....

Vauxhall VX220 - Body work modifications to convert to Exige style rear with new cooling system. Body work completed (almost) but intercooler/pipe work just sitting in the engine bay. Almost complete....

Vauxhall Victor - Restoration project.  New foot wells in but still requires some sill welding..... Engine running....

And finally.... the Westfield... Started a fresh build from chassis up over Christmas.  Back to rolling chassis now with brake lines in, suspension on etc.  Collecting its new engine this weekend so hoping for a Feb'14 MOT.....

I remember a retired friend of mine, sadly now no longer with us, had a retirement home overlooking a marina at St. Mawes. He told me that over the course of any 12 month period well under 20% of the yachts ever moved off their moorings. Some of the ones which never moved were visited at weekends, and used as glorified (and very expensive!) caravans, and quite a few didn't get used at all. The amount of capital tied up in the unused yachts was eye wateringly large.

Only happened 3 times.. first resto my first car a Renault 5 I crashed, welded never actually finished but my sister did. A camper from the business I thought I could finish restoring but couldnt sold at a small loss last year.

And my last house was going guns until kids arrived 9 years ago - sold unfinished last year big profit to new house which I'm tearing thru - kids are bigger and carrot to finish is bigger - big garage to kit out ready for new Westy but after the house!

Where should I start!

VW Camper - Found the engine was a 1300cc. Should be a 1600cc originally so bought a 1600cc engine for it... sitting in the van its self currently rather than fitted.... Off the road for over 2 years....

Vauxhall VX220 - Body work modifications to convert to Exige style rear with new cooling system. Body work completed (almost) but intercooler/pipe work just sitting in the engine bay. Almost complete....

Vauxhall Victor - Restoration project.  New foot wells in but still requires some sill welding..... Engine running....

And finally.... the Westfield... Started a fresh build from chassis up over Christmas.  Back to rolling chassis now with brake lines in, suspension on etc.  Collecting its new engine this weekend so hoping for a Feb'14 MOT.....

I like this bit             "Vauxhall Victor - Restoration project.  New foot wells in but still requires some sill welding..... Engine running"

I would say, an awful lot of welding mate.

Lot's of other amusing stories as well, keep  'em coming.

I normally manage to sell them off, not always quickly, but they do go.  :d  :d

Same here, I get into something and when I lose interest, it gets sold on to fund the next hobby. Power kites, air rifles, skateboards...

Unfortunately the lifelong hobbies like the Westfield and mountain bike have to go, more due to moving country than out of choice. But money will go in the bank and it'll be nice to build one from scratch when we return home.