Boot lid panel

Steve M

I did mine in ally covered in carbon vinyl wrap 

You would have to fit 3 panels to cover the boot box, a panel either side around the diaganols and one hinged centre panel so you open and store stuff.

I might be wrong but I think the only way to fit the boot with the diagonal bars is to cut the boot in half and then trim each half around the bars until the boot fits back it.

You then need to hide the join with some kind of rivited strip.

I'm sure others have done it.

You might want to consider carefully a single piece lid.  As you know the diagonal stays on the roll bar are fixed so if you ever want good access it could be a pita.

This is what I did with my old westy..  it's not concourse but I thought it looked half decent - it's using the playskool plastic you refer to!  :)

IMG_2394_zpsc04c2e27.jpg

Julian, that does look mint, but in all honesty a creation like that is above my capabilities

I'm getting pretty frustrated with the whole thing !!

Unfortunately I've butchered my boot box beyond bringing it back to any form of use

@ Young Pretender, thanks for posting the pic, that's a big help, looks good too !!

I doubt I could get much of a straight edge with my dremmel cutting disk

What did you use to cut the panel ?

Sorry forgotten (yet again) how to include pics!!

I used a Carbon Mods composite panel.  It's fixed at the front by being slotted under a black plastic angle glued to the back of the cockpit.  It is trimmed around the seat belt fixings etc.  It extends full width up to the bases of my RAC bar.  It then comes forward up to the c/l of the stays.  It's cut round the back of the stays and onto the edges of the tub at both sides.  The cuts are on the rake to make the fit as tight as possible.  The panel is fixed with two countersunk allen bolts with black plastic washers at the back edge.  That leaves two small pieces to come from the RAC bar forward and is cut round the front of the stays.  These ara fixed with velro and have some small alminium edges glued undewrneath to make sure it all lines up.  I used no edging anywhere.

I made it in cardboard first and fits pretty well IMO.  The cuts are very short and nearly invisible.  Plase PM me with your email address for a photo.

@ Young Pretender, thanks for posting the pic, that's a big help, looks good too !!

I doubt I could get much of a straight edge with my dremmel cutting disk

What did you use to cut the panel ?

I used an old bosch jigsaw.. far from the right tool and the edges were anything but straight.  That didn't matter though because I finished all the edges with that rubber edging and you wouldn't know. It's also cheap.

If you are going to try something similar I would point out that plastic is a bit hard to work with (certainly with a jigsaw). It melts a bit if you go to fast so slowly, slowly.  Also - make a lid out of cardboard first and use as a template :yes:

I used a piece of 6mm plywood cut to fit and painted satin black for ages before I bought my AA Composites box (excellent quality and looks so much better :) ).

If you make something out of plywood (even MDF) first it's fairly cheap and you can try a few designs before committing to Carbon, Alloy or Plastic "Carbon". The thing I really like about the AA box and lid is that remove the lid, undo a couple of screws and the box is out and full access to the rear end without disturbing the roll bar and stays. 

Thank you for all the comments !

@ Kingster996, yes I did look at the AA composites box a few weeks ago, it's pricey but looks a top bit of kit, I did send an enquiry email earlier , but no reply as yet

I second the tip to make a cardboard template first. Getting a neat finish round all the bars and harness bolts is impossible first time around! (For me anyway)!

Steve

Straight lines are very easy with a dremel , much easier than some other tools , My personal recommendation if you are cutting Carbon or Grp is not to use a jigsaw for other materials as noted above that may be fine .

Email me some pics of the boot box , I'm sure its not that bad , are you seeing Rich at all  I will probably be seeing him possibly Friday or the following week , he could bring it up to me to have a look at ...................