Van Hire for Kit Collection

Andrew O Byrne White - Ireland AO

Can you not get someone else to hire the van and go with you.

Looks like I may have to do that.  I'm from Ireland though so no family over here to call on!  Does anyone have the measurements of the mazda sdv tub?  If I got a roof rack I might be able to take the chassis on the roof and bodywork in the car.

Looks like I may have to do that. I'm from Ireland though so no family over here to call on! Does anyone have the measurements of the mazda sdv tub? If I got a roof rack I might be able to take the chassis on the roof and bodywork in the car.

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/93131-how-wide-how-narrow-will-it-fit-whats-the-width-or-length/

You wont get a ZK body tub to fit in a car

• Like 1

If you don't have far to go then how about a few trips using an inflatable roof rack? About 50 quid on Amazon. I've carried 4 x 6ft fence panels on mine no problem

Cheers all for the advice.  I don't particularly fancy strapping bodywork onto the roof to be honest so unless I manage to find somewhere for a half decent price, I'll go with Buttercup's idea and see if I can get someone to drive for me.  Really looking forward to getting started now!

• Like 1

Bloomin Heck.

That's a first.

Me giving advice on a car forum and it been followed.

Bless your heart young man.

• Like 1

Sorry Buttercup, I may have to skip your advice!  Someone just sent me this:

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_GB/service-offer/van-hire/

Looks like they'll hire to anyone over 21 and it seems cheaper than anyone else... too good to be true?

Price seems very good. Is the van flat packed ;-)

Good practice before getting the Westie I suppose!

My first kit collection (used MK - note fully stripped Sierra and MK bodywork inside the car!) and then my Westy:

MK-on-roof.jpg

in-van.jpg

Price seems very good. Is the van flat packed ;-)

No, but one of the wheels is missing :d

Worth checking the excess - hire co's usually whack a big excess on and then scare you into paying over the odds for more insurance. I used this site (nttwm) and got better cover for a lot less.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who's interested in the future, it's not quite as advertised.  The service Ikea have is Hertz 24/7 and the prices are not as described on their website.  For one thing they don't actually offer LWB vans any more.

Hertz 24/7 operate out of Ikea, B&Q, Costco and Homebase though.  B&Q appear to be the only ones with LWB transits.  The price for at a weekend is £70 for 24 hours plus what appears to be 30p per mile although I can't actually find that detail on the website to confirm that. 

So in summary, yes, they hire to younger drivers, but it is not the cheapest option if you are 25.