Retro Fitting Hans Posts to a Pre Drilled Helmet

Scottish Bloke

Kind of my thoughts Dave, a tad frustrating. So pleased I've just spent a fortune having mine repainted, fitting spoilers, and a 90 quid anti fog visor. Guess I can transfer to new ;-(

Having read the MSA reply and all of the FIA information it’s actually pretty simple.

Your helmet will either need to have an approval like Snell SA2005 or SA2010 together with a silver FIA 8858-2002 sticker. Or you have one of the newer SAH2010 approved helmets, where the FIA logo is already on the sticker. BUT you must have an FIA sticker on a Hans post fitted helmet.

So if you drill out a SA2005 or SA2010 helmet yourself and don't get an FIA sticker it won't pass.

The SAH2010 helmets have the bosses already in them and you just screw the Hans posts in yourself.

"So if you drill out a SA2005 or SA2010 helmet yourself and don't get an FIA sticker it won't pass."

Nick, is that for FIA events only or MSA too?

I contacted Bell who have informed me they could retro fit my drilled helmet and fit the appropriate approval sticker, approx. £60 plus carriage and VAT

I've mailed them back with some queries and will post up what they come back with, ie does the price include posts!

This would appear to be an 'all in' price, which I think is pretty reasonable.

For anyone who is interested, has a bell helmet, (different to a helmet bell) and would like some posts retro fitted, you can send it to:

Bell Racing Europe

Avenue Landas 17

1480 Saintes

Belguim

I have enquired as to how payment works but have not had an answer on this. You can contact them via info@bellracing.info - they respond very quickly in my experience.

Rich

• Like 1

For anyone who is interested, has a bell helmet, (different to a helmet bell) and would like some posts

Rich

PMSL! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

• Like 1

Happy to ease your day Stephen, see my rollbar ad, it'LL finish you off!

"So if you drill out a SA2005 or SA2010 helmet yourself and don't get an FIA sticker it won't pass."

Nick, is that for FIA events only or MSA too?

It's for both as I understand it.

rich its called a albert and Im told very painful if your doing it yourself :d :d :d :d :d:p

• 2 weeks later...

The latest Bell helmet appear to have a Snell 2010 and FIA 8858-2010 sticker and not the one you quote Nick

Just to update everyone who is interested, I sent my helmet back to Bell to have the Hans posts retro fitted. I have to say the service from Bell was excellent and the contact easy and straightforward. The helmet went back to Bell Europe in Belgium and came back with posts and stickered up to be compliant. It cost €139, not cheap but a sniff at the cost of a replacement, circa £600.

All in all well worth it

Rich

The latest Bell helmet appear to have a Snell 2010 and FIA 8858-2010 sticker and not the one you quote Nick

The last 4 digits are a year, so sounds like they have updated 2002 to 2010.