Well impressed with the missus!

Lyonspride

Yesterday evening tother half gets stranded at work with a flat battery, recovery guys rolls up after nearly 3 hours wait and simply jumps starts it, missus drives home, tries to start it after returning home and it's dead again (and reading 12.3v).

Iit's a bl**dy good job it wasn't the alternator else she'd have been stranded half way along the M42.......... :bangshead:

So back home, with her in a rather emotional state the discussion starts as to how we're going to fix this and get her to work for her two rather important meetings early the next morning (this morning). It eventually boils down to having to buy a battery and fit it ourselves, as nowhere that fits batteries is open early enough.

Now something odd happens, she's determined to change the battery herself, she asks me to give her full instructions and the tools. I did this and I made sure to put the fear of god in her with respect to what could happen if she gets it wrong.

This morning we got up early, went out and got a new battery from Bromsgrove Motor Factors at 8am. I refused to leave her on her own to change the battery because I was worried she might drop the wrench and short out the battery to the chassis (there's not a lot of room in a Ford KA).

She only went and did it, exactly to my instructions and without any fuss at all!!!

I don't think she'll be building any Westfields any time soon, but I'm really proud of her for getting her hands dirty and proving to herself that she can actually do these things!

These days I think most blokes would baulk at the very thought of doing what she did this morning!

• Like 6

Imagine that, a woman's tiny brain being able to grasp how to change a battery.

When mine learnt to drive, first thing she asked was how to change a wheel herself, she wasn't planning on waiting 3 hours for the RAC when she can change it and be back on the road in 15 minutes.

• Like 3

Imagine that, a woman's tiny brain being able to grasp how to change a battery.

When mine learnt to drive, first thing she asked was how to change a wheel herself, she wasn't planning on waiting 3 hours for the RAC when she can change it and be back on the road in 15 minutes.

I think it's nothing to do with mental capacity or physical status, it's more the social/parental influences and the positive re-enforcement of being slightly useless, which they are subjected to growing up and most of the way through adulthood.

Parents reward boys for playing with toy cars and reward girls for playing with barbie dolls, these stereotypes, forced upon young children, stick with them, they determine their character and behaviour in later life.

Without these influences, children don't automatically gravitate to gender specific things.

These days though it is especially socially desirable to be completely and utterly stupid, regardless of gender.

The determination to break these moulds and illogical stereotypes is something I deeply respect.

Any bloke who has long hair, like me, will know just how unaccepting society can be of people who do not conform to the gender stereotypes passed down through generations and how closed minded society really is. I'm not in band, I don't do drugs, I have decent job, I have my own house (which is fitted with a bath/shower), but it's surprising how often one or more of those points surprises people about me.

"mine" (woman that is) is a qualified chainsaw operator, HGV driver, tree climber, one day event rider, marathon runner and former national level ladies football player.  She's like a lumpy bloke - and i love her  :d

• Like 1

Lumpy bloke, brilliant!

I find it strange working around more traditional type old-timers who cut their teeth in the coal mines of South Wales, they expect a woman to not get an education, not have a career, their job in life is to cook, clean and look after kids. I find it hard listening to the way they talk about their wives as if they assume they are stupid. Does she not get a choice in what path she wants to take in life? What if she wanted to become a doctor? I suppose blokes followed their father into whatever career he did, women followed the path of their mother and in those days your path in life was already laid out in front of you.

They find it strange that I don't have tea waiting on the table for when I get home from work, but with us both out of the house from 6.30am to 6.00pm, first one in gets the tea on and feeds the cat. We share housework and cooking, ok I do more of the car spannering and DIY but because I enjoy it more rather than lack of effort on her part.

"mine" (woman that is) is a qualified chainsaw operator, HGV driver, tree climber, one day event rider, marathon runner and former national level ladies football player.  She's like a lumpy bloke - and i love her  :d

Seems she is more qualified than you James ;)

• Like 2

My missus wouldnt dream of changing a flat tyre

Nor would she dream of waiting for the rac

She would ignore the noise and drive home on the rim and then tell me that the car smells funny :)

• Like 1

My daughter hated me when I bought her first car. I spent the first two or three hours teaching her what everything did, how to use jump leads and sat watching her jack each corner up and remove and refit all the wheels.

But when she was in a car with three guy's and two girls that had a puncture, she was the only one who knew what to do. She got a buzz out of instructing the guy's in the art of wheel replacement.

When she went to Uni, I set her up with tools and went around her digs finding stop dangler, fuse box etc she does not need strange people to do any minor things, or gets ripped off.

So well done to your better half as she will be better equipped in future.

I tried to explain got half way through and said never mind I'll do it myself, dam sight quicker and less hassle

Terry

From hereon it shall be called a stop dangler. Who says the swear filter spoils threads ;-)

• Like 1