My Rustfield

captain pedro

Am I the only one to have severe rust problems with my nearly new car? I bought the kit of all new parts in Nov 2012 and completed build in Feb 2013.

The problem got so bad that I started complaining to Westfield who refused to take any responsibility saying that it was out of warranty (which is limited to 12 months) despite my rights under the sale of goods act which they refused to accept!

During this very trying process, I discovered that having paid part of the purchase by means of my credit card, then the credit card providers are equally liable by dint of the consumer credit act. After commissioning a report by an independent firm of experts (Dekra) who came down in favor of my complaint I have been reimbursed in full for the whole cost of the kit by my bank. Full marks to them.

What does this say about Westfield though? SHAME!! I loved that car but what a shame.

Sorry to hear of your issues.

When you say rust are you referring to the chassis?

any pictures?

What was the use of the car?

You aren't really giving us much to go on here.

David

Sorry to hear about your issues.

If it is the chassis to which you are refering to, was it powdercoated?

Stu

All you have told us really is you side of the story! If you are going to slate the product you really need to give the facts, obviously being careful not to stray into libellous territory. 

If this is a genuine problem then I for one think it is fair that we can understand as a community some facts and make our own conclusions, and any issues pertinent to those who are building at the minute would be keenly observed ?

Anyone else ?

Bob

• Like 1

I agree Bob. As captain Pedro has been a member since April 2013 I'm surprised nothing has been posted in the forum before now. I hope this is an isolated incident but a brief resume of the corrosion report may be pertinent to all current and future builders. It seems odd on a new kit. Mines 1999 and chassis is all in A1 condition.

Don't let this put you off captain p, as I'm sure all the good times and fun you will have will outweigh your disappointment.

Agree we really do need more information on what the "severe rust problems" actually are (were?)

We can only guess about the chassis - unpainted or no powder coat perhaps? or water ingress trapped somewhere?

More information most definitely required before a subjective view can be given (IMHO).

Personally, I've not heard of any other examples of this type of rust, and as club chairman I too would appreciate evidence of this claim please.

Bearing in mind that the OP has been online this morning and not replied, I would take this with a pinch of salt until more is revelead.

Unless the factory have seen the post and contacted the OP?