Who's taking you home?

stephenh

Abandoning your car (and its contents) by the side of the road while being carted off by ambulance is a strangely disconcerting experience and not one I'd like to repeat.

Pleased to say I've only travelled in the first one while drunk (or dead).

Very good photo though, focuses the mind a bit!

Please everyone, don't drink and drive, and don't let anyone else do it either - we want you all here and blatting for a long time to come. :xmas::westy:

Wouldn't dare drink and drive thesedays and that includes having the odd one or two believing you'll be under the limit.    Daughter has car now so she is the new chauffeur to and from parties/pubs etc.

It's the morning after we need to be careful about too, our local force ( Gwent police ) are apparently having a major crackdown this year & setting up breath testing pull ins in the mornings over the festive period.

They say that every year the festive season comes round but it's nowhere near the level of breathalysing we saw in the 90s.

I have a good friend who lost his licence the morning after. He had 10 hours kip, a fryup and thought he was good to go, we've all driven in far worse states the morning after. He said he might as well have driven home the night before steaming drunk, he'd have got the same penalty and might have made it home without being busted.

Shame we can't have a system like Holland where if you're not that much over the limit, the police can use their discretion to keep hold of you until you blow a clear test and let you on your way without charge. Over here all we get is: Rules is rules, nothing I can do mate, computer says no, don't pass go, don't collect £200. Might as well be replaced with robotic drones: IF light = red THEN bang 'em up ELSE let 'em go

I think there should be the same rules I work to every day - zero tolerance on Drink and Drugs... its easy to work around - you just need to lay off it for a day (24hours) before you work or drive.... id rather be able to drive than have another Babycham.....

Dibby

Is that true?  I thought the breath test was an indication and if marginal fail you can have a blood test which is more accurate. Also reflects the old whisky bottle in the car get out where if stopped and marginal, before being asked to give a test you wash some whisky around your mouth and spit out.  You fail breath test and have spoiled the test.  So by the time you get to give a blood test an hour or so later more likely to pass. 

Having said that I don't drink / drive at all and agree with James on that.

David

Yep, just don't drink and drive, full stop.  I look back now in horror and shame at driving home absolutely blotto when I was very young.  Yes, it was illegal then too, but much more common and not the social stigma it rightly is now.  They say God protects drunks and idiots, and sometimes they're the same thing, but still I was one lucky and stupid drunken SOB.  :blush:  :down: 

The concept of zero tolerance was covered in the news channels last week (or the week before). essentially there's a risk that people who haven't been drinking may fail a breath test for various reasons. The only one I remembered was mouthwash but there were a few.

Id rather have a few people getting nicked with minty fresh breath and know. Y kids are drivibg on roads with fewer drunks on....