SPOTY

Paul Hurdsfield - Joint Manchester AO

It's got the right name if you accept the OED definiton

"A famous person, especially in entertainment or sports: an official opening by a famous personality"

It says nothing about the qualities of said Personalities personality, IYSWIM.

Another perhaps mis-used word when applied to sports - hero. I see nothing heroic in an individual persuing a sport they choose to, for their own ends. Again, the OED seems to let them get away with it...

"A person, typically a man, who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities"

They said Lewis got more than double the votes for Rory.

So who voted for the lesser mainstream sports stars then?

I voted for the guy I wanted to win, and he won so I'm happy.

• Like 2

They said Lewis got more than double the votes for Rory.

So who voted for the lesser mainstream sports stars then?

I voted for the guy I wanted to win, and he won so I'm happy.

Me too. 

I thought they had to be nominated by someone upstairs in the beeb so that rules out anyone who isn't commercially viable no matter who or how good they are  :t-up:

I thought they had to be nominated by someone upstairs in the beeb so that rules out anyone who isn't commercially viable no matter who or how good they are  :t-up:

That's what I thought, basically, it's like X-Factor for middle ages folk: A panel decides which emotionless droids you can vote for, and off you go, pick your favourite smiley face.

They're all the same, pop-factory, strictly come juggling on fire, Great British baking in tents, eating bugs in the jungle. It's all one big money spinner paid for by the millions who phone in for their piece of tripe.

At the end of the day if Motor Sport gets a bit more more publicity, I'm all for it.

I see the golfers (professional and not) have been having a moan online. They need to take a good look at their sport if they want to understand why RM came so far behind LH in the voting. F1 needs to make sure it doesn't follow golfs example, which I'm sure old Bernie would love :-/

Hiding itself away behind a pay wall where people slowly give less of a toss about it. You can see it happening already.

This 'Lewis doesn't have a personality' stuff is nonsense. By most people's measure he probably has the most 'personality' on the grid. They just don't like it because they aren't into all the bling, dogs and red private jets. Regardless, the word 'personality' in the case of SPOTY is from the 2nd definition in the OED as noted earlier in the thread. So what he has won is 'most popular person with people that could be bothered to vote that did a sport in 2014'.

• Like 1

Personally, I think Jenson Button is a far better representative of the sport and would have won it years ago if the competition was really about personality. 

I don't believe we can judge 'Personality' in the way most posters are using it from media communications anyway!

I once met a soap star- she was a stunner, came across as a genuinely great person and I had a bit of a crush TBH! When was actually lucky enough to spend some time in her company she was a complete 'female canine' and not a very nice person.

Of the very few 'personalities' I've met and chatted to. None were as portrayed in the media. Some had far more personality than depicted and were thoroughly fine people, others the complete opposite.

As far as SPOTY is concerned IMO the majority of the nominated sports people would have been worthy winners, as Lewis IS :)

• Like 1

I find it deeply ironic how the SPOTY event has brought out just thoroughly unsporting and frequently downright nasty comments on the 'net.

I find it so sad that so many are unable to simply praise their chosen figure anymore and instead feel the need to belittle, insult and slag off the other nominees.

Got it in one Dave.

I find it deeply ironic how the SPOTY event has brought out just thoroughly unsporting and frequently downright nasty comments on the 'net.

I find it so sad that so many are unable to simply praise their chosen figure anymore and instead feel the need to belittle, insult and ****** off the other nominees.

Welcome to the internet. None of this is a surprise.

Not everyone is going to agree, especially not on a topic like who is the best sportsperson in Britain.

I have no problem with disagreement, it's important in so many areas to have a good range of views. But where is the value in trash talking the opposition!

Just because it happens, doesn't mean it should either be encouraged or entered into.