4 inch headlamps

Steve M

Hello all

I currently have 5 3/4 headlamps fitted, I do like the look of the 4 inch units, the factory list them on the website

Are there any of you running 4 inch headlamps ?

Do they give off sufficient light for night time use?

I'm also wondering if they are a direct fit to the stock mounting brackets

4E4A4BAF-84B7-4DF3-98FA-170BDBCB9BF0.png

They don't give out as much light as the larger ones (upgrading to better bulbs such as Nightbreaker will help and making sure you have 12v. at the bulb holder),  however the upside is you'll have more steering lock (if the rack stops can be adjusted) and less wind resistance ??? .

They will fit on your existing brackets ok. 

i have them the wiring is different... there are 5 wires on the lamps and 4 in the loom, not used in anger but i have upgraded the bulbs to the brightess halford ones.

seemed ok

cheers

john

I also think the aesthetics are improved, the car looks much better with the smaller lights IMHO.

i have them the wiring is different... there are 5 wires on the lamps and 4 in the loom, not used in anger but i have upgraded the bulbs to the brightess halford ones.

seemed ok

cheers

john

John,

Did you upgrade the sidelight bulbs too?

I'm looking at some Cree replacements (Ebay item171563897246)   but haven't decided yet

(I assume the sidelight is the 501 type......)

They are poor even with Halford's brightest bulbs IMO.  My MOT person wanted the dip to kick up to the nearside which involved cutting another groove in the bezel and fitting the lens rotated IYSWIM.

I now have Xenon bulbs - I can see properly with them  :laugh:

Added questions, sorry for semi Thread hi-jack. Are they actually legal and MOT friendly? I am saw I read something in the past about smaller lights not being legal but I think this may have related to domminators? Am interested to reduce size if its legal. I try to avoid at night in the westy anyway.

I had a set on my last westfield (from Furore - cheaper than Westfield!).

Passed MOT's no problems and seemed fine although I never really used them in the 'proper dark'

Cheers,

Dave

I had a set on my last westfield (from Furore - cheaper than Westfield!).

Passed MOT's no problems and seemed fine although I never really used them in the 'proper dark'

Cheers,

Dave

These look different slightly to the dominators you would have got from Furore, not a great difference but the dominators have a large hole in the rear with no conduit/covering on the cables.

The ones above wiring look alot better imo. :)

John,

Did you upgrade the sidelight bulbs too?

I'm looking at some Cree replacements (Ebay item171563897246)   but haven't decided yet

(I assume the sidelight is the 501 type......)

Only did the main bulb not the side., the first problem was i wired them wrong so VERY dim, wired right they are OK.

I have them on mine.

They mount on like this..

IMG_4296_zpse7d614e3.jpg

I find that you can get the nose of without disturbing them and they bolt up nice and tight.

Not driven in the dark so i can't comment on it.

• Like 2

I've fitted them to mine but it hasn't had its IVA yet but Westfield tell me they we'll pass. We will see!

Part of the reason for price difference on some of the factory gear is them having to ensure it will pass IVA. Very occasionally, the actual part manufacturer throws everyone a curve ball by subtly modifying the part in such a way that the IVA is affected; I had this with one of their 6 1/2" silencers, many years ago. (Unbeknownst to anyone the silencer maker put a smaller non passing radii on the tip if the exhaust.)

my my experience was that the factory would move heaven and earth to ensure you had what you needed to pass IVA, (or SVA as it was for me back then). In that instance, they had a custom end piece that fit in the end of the silencer pipe and had a SVA friendly radius on it.

Yes, I paid a little more for the silencer, but then I had someone to turn to when I had the problem.

You pays your money and makes your choice!