Mitsubishi outlander - hybrid - 140mpg

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Ok the title is a bit misleading with 140mpg

But thinking about getting shot of the Beamer to having a much cheaper car to run - more fuel for the toys :-)

Anyone got any experience of these?

Most of my mileage is commuting too a frow from work - 8 miles each way so most of my driving could be done on fully electric -

bik with full fuel allowance works out at something like £120 per month in tax compared to £500 for the 530d

Seems like it could be a real goer for me (if I can get my head around having to charge it when I park up) - interior quality and ergonomics are the down side compared to other motors

Your thoughts ?

My mate has one reckons its gonna save him 5k a year. He's a 30 mile comute and his work has put a charge point in at his parking space. And he's got s rapid charge point at home. Id be interested but the tow weight is too low for our caravan.

When doing your calculations factor in how the BIK rates change over the next 3 years.

On all electric cars depreciation rates seem poor as I guess people unsure about the reliability / battery life etc.

I am happy with my Leaf as a commute car.

Barry - sounds like the sort of savings I could benefit from - and yes I would have a charging point at work and at home if I go forwards with the idea - seems to be ok for the occasional westy towing as well :-) max 1500kg

David - With c02 that low Bik big changes won't be an issue for a long while I guess - depreciation not too much of an issue within reason and higher depreciation can be offset against lower running costs to an extent - fuel/road tax etc

I do wonder what mpg would be on a three hour run up to Newcastle or similar - I have seen 40mpg ish on the web - not too bad given the size of vehicle and that the Beamer would be about the same on a run (34-35mpg on my commute)

I can easily get over 40 mpg in my Octavia estate 1.6 mpi on w/e runs to Conwy north Wales , approx 180 mile round trip , and its not the most eco model , don't know how that compares :oops:   

Bernie - just had a look and a green line 1.6 business would cost me just under £200 per month inc fuel benefit

Many of the green cars are not that green, but from a tax point of view for business users they are a no brainer.

The reason is that the Government has an agenda to get a lot of hybrids and electric cars on the road, one to reduce pollution, two to enable a major change in the way we are charged.

At present the oil price is all over the place, as a result the tax take is down. Cars are more efficient, so the tax take is down. The answer is road pricing and when a critical mass of people have switched to hybrids the case for change can be made.

Vehicle telmetrics will be mandatory on new cars form 2018 so the technical means to charge will be there.

Company car tax has always been the way to get change as what companies buy today the second hand user buys tomorrow.

8 miles? Get a pushbike you lazy git!

Don't think an 8 mile commute will be all that goot for a 3-litre diesel, bet it's hardly warmed up by the time you get to work.

Dibby it will do that on full electric power. Engine not needed

I was referring to his 530d BMW. An 8 mile commute can't be good for an engine like that.

• Like 1

8 miles? Get a pushbike you lazy git!

Don't think an 8 mile commute will be all that goot for a 3-litre diesel, bet it's hardly warmed up by the time you get to work.

keep it constructive :t-up:

No experience with electric cars, but my new company car is an Audi A3 Sportback 1.6l diesel, which I was prepared to dislike but am very pleasantly surprised.  The build quality and equipment levels are of course excellent but there's still plenty of room for four (five in emergencies), the CO2 rating is 99gms and even with me running the A/C all the time and doing 75-80 mph on the motorway, I'm getting 61-64 mpg, and 55-57 mpg urban - preposterously good.  The engine stop/start technology is a bit unnerving but you get used to it.  The handling and ride are very good too with long service intervals.  I'd certainly recommend a test drive.

No experience with electric cars, but my new company car is an Audi A3 Sportback 1.6l diesel, which I was prepared to dislike but am very pleasantly surprised.  The build quality and equipment levels are of course excellent but there's still plenty of room for four (five in emergencies), the CO2 rating is 99gms and even with me running the A/C all the time and doing 75-80 mph on the motorway, I'm getting 61-64 mpg, and 55-57 mpg urban - preposterously good.  The engine stop/start technology is a bit unnerving but you get used to it.  The handling and ride are very good too with long service intervals.  I'd certainly recommend a test drive.

My Dad leant me his (although it was the quick diesel version) and he purchased it and then found after a few months it was not comfortable enough for him - an age thing :d

anyway I dont think it would be big enough for the three chimps on a run - especially in 3-4 years time

there really are not that many bigger, very economical cars out there that cut the mustard

Lexus IS300h Clark  :d

2.5L petrol engine + electric

50-60mpg

Fully loaded

I have gone for the "Executive" model, comes in at £30k