Fast-ish diesel estate up to £3K

Quinten

If you can live with an older car, a Peugeot 406 2.0 diesel is a great car, my mate is 6'3" and fits comfortably.

Went to see a Honda Accord Tourer today and was surprised that the rear is really cramped. Plenty of space for driver, but only a small child (which I no longer have) could sit behind me. Shame, cos I really liked the boot space and toys on offer...

If you can live with an older car, a Peugeot 406 2.0 diesel is a great car, my mate is 6'3" and fits comfortably.

Not sure how old? 1970? ;) As a tall driver these days it's not really an issue anymore to find a car you can comfortably drive. The seat behind the driver is where it suffers though.

Still have the Vectra and Mondeo as hot favourites. Nothing else touches these in VFM, space and performance.

Just looked on Autrotrader and there's plenty of Suburu Legacy diesels within your budget so not sure what the issue is? I'm pretty sure they wont be thirstier and than a Vauxhall that I'm sure of

Just looked on Autrotrader and there's plenty of Suburu Legacy diesels within your budget so not sure what the issue is? I'm pretty sure they wont be thirstier and than a Vauxhall that I'm sure of

Cheapest I see is £4950, but am happy to be proved wrong? Got a link?

Sorry - they were petrols but to be fair you only said 'prefer' diesel originally and not had to be diesel

I think the petrol legacies come with low range if I remember right?  Would've thought the Petrol would be a good wagon...maybe 35mpg vs mid 40's but Petrol cheaper and cheaper servicing fairly closes that gap in my experience and not to mention less initial outlaw.

That's why my Vitara is Petrol and not diesel.

Cheers,

Dave

I think at the budget I have for a car, the difference in petrol/diesel purchase price is neglectable, but the monthly costs at the petrol forecourt aren't. It's very little motorway for my daily commute (10 miles vs 30 miles of A/minor roads), so the average mpg of the Subaru will be a lot lower (not to mention my driving style).

I'm thinking of selling my passat tdi estate 02 plate 175,000 , but running a lot of modifications and 210hp, has a later 6 speed box in it too. Pm me if interested.. its definitely not slow, keeps up with my mates westie  :p

Here's a video of the previous owner at santa pod http://s85.photobucket.com/user/karlthekarter/media/Santa%20Pod%20May%202013/MVI_0666_zpsc1e3e450.mp4.html 

Had a quick look just now at the Passat, but tbh, for what they are, they don't seem to be too exciting?  Smaller boot than the Vectra and not any quicker.  Strong contenders so far are Vectra (better the devil you know ;)), Mondeo ST-TDCI, Accord Tourer and as a wildcard an Octavia vRS (cos I just loved my Mk1's).

My 2p worth Quinten after owning 2 ST  diesel's (one a lemon) they are very good if the have been well looked after, do have issues but so do a lot of other cars. I have now got a Mk 4.5 Titanium X Sport Mondeo estate 2.2 TDCI and love it, every bit as good if not way better than the ST. Got the bluefin on it now and it flew before but now it is awesome. Huge boot space, very comfortable short or long distance. Did Aberdeen to just North of London last year 3 up and luggage on less than a tank of fuel cruising at 80 .  

I'm thinking of selling my passat tdi estate 02 plate 175,000 , but running a lot of modifications and 210hp, has a later 6 speed box in it too. Pm me if interested.. its definitely not slow, keeps up with my mates westie  :p

Here's a video of the previous owner at santa pod http://s85.photobucket.com/user/karlthekarter/media/Santa%20Pod%20May%202013/MVI_0666_zpsc1e3e450.mp4.html

Thanks for that, but I'm not looking for a modded car.  Going to have enough premium loading when the insurance situation has been sorted anyway...

My 2p worth Quinten after owning 2 ST  diesel's (one a lemon) they are very good if the have been well looked after, do have issues but so do a lot of other cars. I have now got a Mk 4.5 Titanium X Sport Mondeo estate 2.2 TDCI and love it, every bit as good if not way better than the ST. Got the bluefin on it now and it flew before but now it is awesome. Huge boot space, very comfortable short or long distance. Did Aberdeen to just North of London last year 3 up and luggage on less than a tank of fuel cruising at 80 .  

Thanks for that :yes:   Have read all about dodgy injectors and subframe bushes, but as with all things, you will read more negative stories on the internet than positive.  The Vectra has its own share of foibles, none of which mine suffered in the past year.

Tomorrow I'm trying to see if I can get myself into an Avensis and Mazda6.  Now I have been supplied with a hire car by the accident management company I can afford to take my time in finding a replacement.

Don't get an Avensis/Lexus with the 2.2 diesel engine whatever you do, the other engines are OK.

Don't get an Avensis/Lexus with the 2.2 diesel engine whatever you do, the other engines are OK.

Care to enlighten?

You'll be lucky to get 33mpg on a run, if you boot it or around town 25-30mpg.      Not to forget head gasket failures affecting a great deal of these engines and results in 3/4 of the engine being re built. 

OK, Toyota and Lexus will fix this problem if the car is up to 8years old and under 80k. miles and dealer service history but the hassle and inconvenience of no car to drive whilst this is sorted out is a no go.

BTW, I had an Auris T180 with bad fuel consumption,  seat made my back ache as I could never find a comfortable position, the seats were hard, and lived in fear of a major breakdown as above. Got rid 4 months after I bought it.

So if you see Toyota/Lexus 2.2 dervs for sale cheap, there is a good reason.

• Like 1

Cheers for that.  Have done a bit more reading and it does seem the 2.2 is not 'toyota' reliable...  The 2.0 is a bit underpowered, so I'd probably give it a miss then.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.