Fast-ish diesel estate up to £3K

Quinten

Take a look at the Mazda 6 estate, TS model or above for a very good spec & a cracking diesel engine !

I'm looking for an estate at the moment and have been liking the Volvo V50 DRIVe. 1.6 diesel and really economical (72mpg).

I'd go with another BMW when mine dies. It's a 2004 320d estate, with a remap on the engine and 227,000 miles on it now (just 11,000 miles to the moon!), I keep getting the itch to upgrade to a 530d for their massive boot space but it doesn't make sense chopping in a perfectly good car for the sake of it. Still passing MOTs with a single advisory on rear tyres last time through.

I had an Alfa Romeo 147 JTD with the 1.9 turbo diesel unit used in the Saabs/ Vectras and that thing was riddled with a turbo overboost gremlin that kept tripping out on over pressure and sending it into limp home mode, ECU problems, stability system gremlins, that engine went like stink in a small car but it was hellishly unreliable. 

I'd go with another BMW when mine dies. It's a 2004 320d estate, with a remap on the engine and 227,000 miles on it now (just 11,000 miles to the moon!), I keep getting the itch to upgrade to a 530d for their massive boot space but it doesn't make sense chopping in a perfectly good car for the sake of it. Still passing MOTs with a single advisory on rear tyres last time through.

I had an Alfa Romeo 147 JTD with the 1.9 turbo diesel unit used in the Saabs/ Vectras and that thing was riddled with a turbo overboost gremlin that kept tripping out on over pressure and sending it into limp home mode, ECU problems, stability system gremlins, that engine went like stink in a small car but it was hellishly unreliable. 

+1 for a BMW estate - I wouldn't have anything else now. Mine is a petrol (E91 330i M Sport), but my Dad has the 320d version and absolutely loves it, it drives great, totally reliable over the last 40k miles (his has done 90k now).

In your budget I'd be looking at E46 facelifted 320d's......

Take a look at the Mazda 6 estate, TS model or above for a very good spec & a cracking diesel engine !

I'll have a look, thanks. My gut feeling tells me that it is going to be too small for our needs, but I need to check it out first :)

I'm looking for an estate at the moment and have been liking the Volvo V50 DRIVe. 1.6 diesel and really economical (72mpg).

The V50 is definitely too small, but a V70 could be workable. Just not seeing any nice examples which havent been to the moon and back. 

I had an E39 M5 in the past and loved it, but the E39 estates are getting really long in the tooth now, and the newer generations cost a fair bit more.

+1 for a BMW estate - I wouldn't have anything else now. Mine is a petrol (E91 330i M Sport), but my Dad has the 320d version and absolutely loves it, it drives great, totally reliable over the last 40k miles (his has done 90k now).

In your budget I'd be looking at E46 facelifted 320d's......

A 3 series is too small.

I'm getting a Nissan X trail 40ish mpg 4x4 if that ticks a box Hope insurance pays up fast....

That's spacious, but not exactly thrilling to drive ;)

• Like 1

Alfa 159 Sportwagon - 45mpg, 150bhp, reasonable space (?) and still looks fantastic IMO.  You'll get an MY07 with a few miles on it for your budget  :cool:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201411098861243/sort/default/fuel-type/diesel/postcode/me150la/body-type/estate/page/1/radius/1500/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/quicksearch/true/make/alfa_romeo/usedcars?logcode=p

Alfa_Romeo_159_Sportwagon_2.4_JTDm_Q-Tro

The 159 is definitely a looker  :yes:   Unfortunately the space inside is less than a 3 series, so on that base...  I'm out ;)

I'll have a look, thanks. My gut feeling tells me that it is going to be too small for our needs, but I need to check it out first :)  The V50 is definitely too small, but a V70 could be workable. Just not seeing any nice examples which havent been to the moon and back.  I had an E39 M5 in the past and loved it, but the E39 estates are getting really long in the tooth now, and the newer generations cost a fair bit more. A 3 series is too small. That's spacious, but not exactly thrilling to drive ;)

V70 is a great shout. Friend of mine has a T5 one that he bought for £600! Good car. Just watch out for white ones with holes in the roof/dash!

• Like 1

Test drove a Mondeo ST-TDCI today and rather like it. The only thing holding me back a bit is that there is a radio remote on the steering column, right in the location where my left knee is, severely restricting sideways movement. And the injectors are prone to failing and really expensive to replace. Other than that, great space to be in and really good legroom in the back. And it drove like stink ;)

Also went to see a Mk1 Octavia vRS estate, but they are not suitable anymore for the family. Not enough legroom behind the driver. Shame, cos I still love these.

Wanted to see a local Honda Accord, but it was already sold, so this will be the next one to try...

Subura Legacy ?

Subura Legacy ?

Too expensive still for diesels. The petrol ones will probably be quite thirsty?

You're expecting a lot of car for £3k. Mr Q.   I'm not sure what you want actually exists.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.