Scotish drink drive limit - serious

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

FYI

the Scottish drink drive limit is being reduced on December the 5th

from 80mg to 50mg

be careful morning after Hogmanay on the drive home... must get into selling breatherisers

bigger issue, how ill it work? Sober and legal in Carlisle drunk and over limit once across the border. Will we see drivers running across the border like in the US as laws are different.

Fully against dd however the decision was made in Scotland after three witnesses were interviewed, one policeman, one health worker, on woman from a campaign group. Seems a fair representation to me, not! Not a well thought out plan this one.

just a thought but I belive legal limit is 35mg in England and the police convict after 40 mg are you talking about breath or blood  

• Like 1

Hi Jeff, why is this not well thought out? Is it because the idea wasn't thought of in England?? I'm confident that you're not suggesting that, mate!

I would hope that anyone heading North would do so knowing the Laws of the land. The same can be said for many Laws that apply in England but not in Scotland (and vice versa) ie I am free in Scotland to camp on farmland as long as I follow the time honoured simple code however, I cannot do the same in England. Back to alcohol, drinking outdoors is banned down to areas or whole cities and towns - it is likely that many will fall foul of this by-law unknowingly.

syman84 is correct re the legal limit compared with the 'chargeable' or 'acceptable' limit. Scotland should be applauded for taking steps to reduce road deaths and injuries by drink drivers!

Food for Thought: It's apparently legal to kill a Scotman within the city walls of York as long as he's carrying a bow and arrow .. f**k that, I'm dressing a cowboy from now on when I visit there! :laugh:

• Like 1

I am sure Scottish people have good ideas, this is not one of them. The last time I looked we still are one nation so as a reasonable rule laws covering driving should be in sync.

Now I think if the levels needed to be reduced it should be have been done as a whole or is drink driving a bigger problem in Scotland?

its just a few wee drams ! :laugh:

Strangely, Clarkson and the Greens agree on something.  With all the road safety improvements, speed cameras, air bags, seat belts and crumple zones etc, the number of injuries has gone down a bit, but the number of deaths on the road is staying static.  It can only mean one thing.  Most accidents are caused by stupidity.  Every day we all see someone driving like a lunatic.  So does the slightest whiff of booze makes them suicidal. 

Is the change in the limit suggesting that the Scots problem isn't drink but stupidity instead?

No problem in that reduce it further. It might force more UK brewers to produce decent low alcohol/no alcohol beer ....Or maybe pubs will stop charging so much for soft drinks and then filling the glass with ice.

Brew dog has done it with nanny state (0.5%)

just a thought but I belive legal limit is 35mg in England and the police convict after 40 mg are you talking about breath or blood

Not sure they quoted bac,.

But I'd not heard about this in the news but it was an all the motorway matrixes

It should be zero across the board.... "It's ok madam the person who killed your son was only a bit tipsy"....

I do not agree with driving above the legal limits but ZERO is a number that is, I understand, medically very difficult to achieve in terms of blood alcohol content unless you abstain completely  ALL THE TIME

Its a bit like zero tolerance on speeding 

31mph is illegal but can you hold your car at 30mph for long periods without taking your eyes off the road?  I think not!

• Like 1

Agree with above, would be a pain if you couldn't drive your car because you used mouthwash!

or mums  tiramisu