SOLD - 1967 Johnny Walker JW4 Mk3 Formula IV

Mark (smokey mow)

Chassis Number 7022D, this car was the original 1967/68 factory prototype during the transition from the Motorcycle engine 250/650cc Mk1 and Mk2 chassis’ to the 875cc car engine Hillman Imp/SAAB Mk3. In total 56 JW4’s were manufactured at Johnny Walker’s Gloucestershire factory between 1965 and 1969 and of them I am personally aware of Eight original JW4’s chassis’ that still remain worldwide. Five of these JW4’s are located in the UK (I presently own three of the five Including this one) and this is the only car engined example I am aware of that still remains in existence to this day.

This car is being sold unassembled and as a project for an enthusiast to research, complete and restore; the sale will include only the following items:

Fabricated chassis

Original 3 piece bodywork comprising of the following:

• Nose/upper body

• Lower body/under tray

• Engine cover

Cast Aluminium Rear uprights (Un-machined)

Pedal Box and Pedals

Fuel Tank

Dashboard, Instruments (shown) and switches

JA Pearce Magna Wheels, 13” rear and 10” front fitted with the correct Dunlop Historic Motorsports tyres all of which are new.

Along with the above parts I can also include full Fabrication drawings for both the front and rear wishbones together with machining drawings for the rear uprights. If preferred I can also supply details for altering these uprights to accept mini driveshafts, bearings and hubs which would be easier and cheaper to source than the original parts.

The sale does not include any front uprights, however either MG Midget or Hillman Imp uprights could be used. Midget/Imp hubs would also have the correct 4” PCD to work with the JA Pearce wheels.

The chassis is substantially complete and original however you can see in the photographs that the upper chassis tubes in the engine bay have been swaged and modified in the past to accept a Honda CB750 motorcycle engine and two vertical tubes have also been removed from the rear of the chassis. If required and for an additional fee I can arrange with a local fabricator for this modification to be reversed and the original straight upper rails and vertical tubes reinstated.

Wherever possible full technical support could also be given by myself to any purchaser of this car to ensure it can be restored faithfully to its former condition. I hold the original factory manufacturing drawings for the JW4 Mk2 and therefore have all the information necessary to allow this to be completed to a rolling chassis stage. Unfortunately I do not have any details for the components necessary to fit the original Hillman Imp engine or gearbox, this will be down to the purchaser to research further and complete for themselves.

For more information about the Johnny Walker JW4 and Formula IV please see the build thread for my two Mk2 cars http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/104577-smokeys-jw4-formula-four-rebuild-thread/

This is a unique opportunity to own and restore an exceptionally rare car with history. £££ serious sensible offers are being invited. To discuss further and for more information prospective buyers are encouraged to contact me by Private Message on this forum or by email at wsccessex@btinternet.com

This will be strictly collection only from Colchester, Essex. The bodywork would fit in a large saloon/estate car and the chassis could easily be carried on a roof rack.

For buyers who may be interested that are overseas I am located 30 minutes from the Port of Harwich for Ferries to the Hook of Holland and 2 hours from the port of Dover for Ferries to Calais.

Thank you for reading

Mark

wsccessex@btinternet.com

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Hi Mark

When completed do you know what / where this JW4 would be eligible to run ? i.e. historic race series or sprints & hill climbs? I am very tempted and have always dreamed of owning a classic single seater ( always drool over the Lotus's at Loton Park  ) but haven't really done any research as yet, still just getting my head around the speed series  :laugh:

Hi Mark

When completed do you know what / where this JW4 would be eligible to run ? i.e. historic race series or sprints & hill climbs? I am very tempted and have always dreamed of owning a classic single seater ( always drool over the Lotus's at Loton Park ) but haven't really done any research as yet, still just getting my head around the speed series :laugh:

For circuit racing the car should be eligible to run in the HSCC Classic Racing Car Championship or on the hills in the Classic Hill Climb Championship. As mine are are bike engined I was intending to run in the invitation class for the 500 Owners Association and also the Speed Series in class J :)

http://www.hscc.org.uk/championships

http://www.bugatti.co.uk/usefulinformation/paulmattysportscarsclassicchampionship.aspx

http://www.500race.org/

• 3 weeks later...

Bump for Christmas, this would make an ideal stocking filler to give to your loved ones :d:xmas:

A few people have also asked me for a rough idea of price, I'm looking for offers in the region of £1500 :)

Mark

wsccessex@btinternet.com

• 3 weeks later...

Provisionally sold :t-up:

That's great news Mark  :t-up:  I really hope to see that car in action one day  :yes:

( shame I didn't have the courage to take it on, but I fear it may never have got finished :blush: )

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.