Dry sump a 711M

Chriscooper1

Hey there, not sure you need to with a decent fat alloy sump and plenty of oil in her.... good luck :-) 

Theory says that it can give you more bhp as you effectively reduce the amount of work the crank has to do through the oil and the gains from a pressurised system but as a percentage of the engines potential it's relatively low and it's very expensive to get to that level - you're talking a couple of bhp at the very top end of performance levels. It's main benefit is guaranteed oil pressure on track!

Cost wise it's tricky, you need:

5 port oil pump

Remote oil housing

Oil tank

Dry sump pan

All the plumbing!

New you're looking at around £1000 to £1500, used around £500 to £800.

In terms of work, it's pretty straightforward, just need to locate the oil tank and remote filter housing and then work out your plumbing routes, remembering that the 5 port pumps are gravity fed (learnt all this the hard way!). It's worth putting in an oil cooler and in-line oil temp gauge at this point too, if you haven't got them already.

But, as James says, most run without a dry sump setup and do just fine.

If you're looking for more power, what spec are you running now? Might be easier, more productive ways to get there ;)

The main reason was that my sump is that low, and living where I do in the sticks was concerned about knocking it off, I'll probabley run it til I knock it off and get it done, thanks for the help.

Chris, I would buy an alloy flat sump and fit that.  IU have done near 10,000 road miles in my car had no issues and competed it this year and its competitive...  good luck mate 

James 

• Like 2

Yep I'd go with that, much better to do something now rather than risk oil loss or the studs getting pulled out of the block from an impact - neither will have a happy ending! Not sure where you'd get an alloy short sump from these days though, might be worth a call to John Wilcox.

• Like 1

if you want to go down the dry sump route i have been collecting bits over the last few months to do mine and have managed to end up with two pumps so i am more than happy to move one on if your interested. good luck with what ever route you take though