Seight scuttle

RoboS

I was thinking of buying a new scuttle for my Seight from Westfield but they have informed that they dont have the mould anymore.

I guess my only option is to take off my existing one and get it refurbed.

Am i correct in assuming that you cannot buy these from any where else

Rob

Strange, what is the difference between the SEiGHT scuttle and any of the other scuttles? I bought mine 11 months ago.

Who did you speak to at Westfield?

Strange, what is the difference between the SEiGHT scuttle and any of the other scuttles? I bought mine 11 months ago.

Who did you speak to at Westfield?

I thought it would be the same as a wide body, it was Ed we spoke to and sent them pictures as well

Rob, can you post a picture of your car and scuttle. There's a couple of designs which may not be available now but that's not to say that one of the others that are still available wouldn't fit.

Rob, can you post a picture of your car and scuttle. There's a couple of designs which may not be available now but that's not to say that one of the others that are still available wouldn't fit.

Mark

ok will get some posted shortly

Thanks

Rob

Looks like the early 'kit' wide

If all you need is a scuttle then refurbing what you already have would probably be the easiest and cheapest option but if by chance you're thinking of changing any of the other bodywork as well then you could upgrade and fit the later ZK scuttle, bonnet and nose.

Looks like the early 'kit' wide

If all you need is a scuttle then refurbing what you already have would probably be the easiest and cheapest option but if by chance you're thinking of changing any of the other bodywork as well then you could upgrade and fit the later ZK scuttle, bonnet and nose.

Mark,

What is the difference between a normal wide body scuttle and the SEiGHT one?

Mark,

What is the difference between a normal wide body scuttle and the SEiGHT one?

Nothing. The SEight uses the same scuttle as any other wide body Westfield of the same era. Over the years though the bodywork has evolved slightly with the current offerings being the ZK and FW types.

As Mark said, nothing to do with it being an SEiGHT, all Westfields at the time had that scuttle. But Westfield have had different versions of the standard "traditional Seven" type bodywork over the years. (Ignoring the pre-lit Caterham clone), it's just like a major car manufacturer tweaking the design of their cars over the years. I suppose the best comparison would be a Porsche 911, where the look of the car between successive versions has often been kept quite similar, so that you'd need too put them side by side to spot the differences.

That style body is generally known as "Kit" bodywork, while we've been on a version known as ZK bodywork for many years.

Fortunately, if push comes to shove, you can mix the two. (With a little work). Unfortunately, some of the main differences are all to do with the upper panels. The most obvious is the swage line that runs down the sides, from the nose along either side of the bonnet and across the scuttle is at a different height. Additionally, if you look at the car from the front, the kit bodywork is slightly narrower/more curved at the top. (A kit scuttle is about 18mm narrower at the top, though the same width at the bottom as a ZK scuttle).

So you could, with work, use a Kit style tub with a ZK nose, bonnet and scuttle. (I say with work, as you'd also find some of the panel mounting and locating points would be different too, but that could be fixed)

Thanks for all your help, Ive just purchased a new bonnet, so i think i will take it off and go for a refurb.

Rob

I have a factory built SEIGHT club and the scuttle is completely different to the standard Seiw's etc I'm at the Garage today I'll take some shots for you. Basically its not flat and as various additional shapes and folds back in on itself. Now I don't know if this was just offered on factory built cars to differentiate between self build kits and out of the factory cars

Buzz

I have a factory built SEIGHT club and the scuttle is completely different to the standard Seiw's etc I'm at the Garage today I'll take some shots for you. Basically its not flat and as various additional shapes and folds back in on itself. Now I don't know if this was just offered on factory built cars to differentiate between self build kits and out of the factory cars

Buzz

Does it look like this Buzz?

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/70806-oil-catch-tank-positioning/?p=705141

That's not a SEiGHT scuttle as such, it was used on a number of car variants for a short while, mainly, if I remember right, either factory builds or modular kits. (ie not regular body chassis only kits). Time wise, late ish nineties rings a bell. Many of the Speed Sport cars feature that scuttle and they're all Zetec based, for example.