Novice looking to join ?

thinkturbo

Hi all, newbie wanting support and advice.

Ok, I've got a road registered narrow 2000, mighty xflow ex hill climb car!, 1989 sei.

Looking to compete in local hill climbs, but need to know how much additional costs and mods required to the car, and myself ha ha.

Car has cut off, but standard roll bar.

Do I need a trailer?

I'm not going into this for competitive reasons, only fun, as a Prescott regular I've always fancied doing it

A standard car is fine... The only change from standard is yellow tape on the battery lead, a timing strut and a number.

The biggest cost is race suit, helmet, gloves and msa licence

There are a few that drive their car to the events, I now trailer as I feel I can give it more without worring how to get home.

Any questions then please ask.

• Like 1

You really need to replace the standard rollbar, if you mean you have the single hoop with no braces. I'd say a braced hoop is as must, as a minimum , particularly if you plan to do Shelsley and Prescott! ;)  ;)  ;)

I meant to say also that you will need an oil catchtank on the engine. Maybe it already has one if it is an ex-hillclimb car?

I meant to say also that you will need an oil catchtank on the engine.

forgot that!!! must be 1litre

Hi "Thinkturbo"

I too would suggest the minimum is a RAC roll bar plus 4 point harness and if possible a fibreglass bucket seat.  These don't have to be "in date" so can be picked up for not too much money.

Most other things have been covered in above posts.

I live near Cirencester and Prescott is my "local" hill but only competed there for the first time this year.  I'm happy to advise in any way and also have a look at your car if you want.  Hellski also lives locally to Cheltenham and was a new novice this season and I am sure he will be more than happy to share his experience and any car/person based tips. Stu Hill and Adrian Clinton-Watkins also live in the area and are Speed Series regulars and would also help/advise.

Drop me a PM if you want to ask any questions, happy to also give you my mobile number if you want a chat.

Regards

Paul

• Like 1

I was a newbie this season and have campaigned a mighty cross flow that proved the mightiest in Class A this season, not that I like to talk about it.  Happy to converse on all matters speed series, cross flow, cider.

Once you start you won't look back.  I absolutely loved this year applying my engineering skills (agricultural at best) to getting the most out of the 8V wonder under the bonnet.

My advice is to get your MSA licence done, give anyone of us  call especially those local, get a suit and be welcomed into the paddock next year.

Good luck and have fun :-) 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, thanks, i,ve decide to give it a go next year, as I can't let the car go, It's not the tidiest body but drives a dream, speak soon, trailer hunting time...

Most of the venues (Prescott, Shelsley, Loton) offer drivers schools. 

A useful day if completely new to the sport.  They do tend to book up fast though.

David

:t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up: more mightyness in class A  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

definately thou mightiest of mighty xflow

more fun as well!!

Great news, you'll love it, i only managed one sprint last year but i'm completely hooked! Hoping to do a full season next year so will be sure to see you in the paddock :t-up:

When is a mighty 1700cc crossflow not as mighty as a mere 1000cc engine ????

When its a Bike Engined Car :laugh:

• Like 1