Aluminium panels. Powder coat v's carpeting.....

TableLeg

Can any body offer any pro's and con's with regards to leaving the Aluminium panels exposed but Powder coated versus having the bare panels covered with carpets.

I know that some will say there is less weight with no carpets, agreed that must be so.

I really should have paid more attention to the interiors of cars I looked at when I went to Stoneleigh last year.

If anyone has some interior pic's of panels and/or carpets that would good.

Thanks in advance.

I've had all of mine powder coated to keep the oxidisation at bay, even though the interior is fully carpeted.

Thanks Dave,

I can definitely see the benefit in powder coating under carpeting as you rightly say its much better protection for the Aluminium.

Can you buy individual carpet parts or do you need to buy the whole set from Westfield?

If only the whole set, what parts are included?

First thing I did when I bought my Westie was remove all the carpet. With a aeroscreen, I didn't want the hassle of trying to keep the carpets dry, or having to dry them when they got wet.

And I'm glad I did, the car has had several deep puddles since then!

To me, it's down to whether you want a more track ready / styled car, or something more 'comfortable'

I hate carpets when they get wet as they do not dry out for weeks and smell awful!

First thing I did when I bought my Westie was remove all the carpet. With a aeroscreen, I didn't want the hassle of trying to keep the carpets dry, or having to dry them when they got wet.

And I'm glad I did, the car has had several deep puddles since then!

To me, it's down to whether you want a more track ready / styled car, or something more 'comfortable'

I do plan to have an aeroscreen for a more 'Track' style looking build (although I'll actually have a heavy weight V8) :d

I hate carpets when they get wet as they do not dry out for weeks and smell awful!

Good point Terry, :yes:

Thanks guys.

Mines powder coated, no carpets.  I like the stripped back look. The only thing I did do was to buy tome auto rubber matting and made a pair of thin rubber floor mats.  Just loose fitted so they can come out easily to clean etc.

DSC02084_zps05fb6e09.jpg

Main reason was I found that the floor was getting marked with various shoe types on the passenger side.

My only other gripe is the rubber piping that keeps coming away from the tunnel edges.  Haven't thought too hard but there must be a better solution that I could try over the winter.

Mines powder coated, no carpets.  I like the stripped back look. The only thing I did do was to buy tome auto rubber matting and made a pair of thin rubber floor mats.  Just loose fitted so they can come out easily to clean etc.

Main reason was I found that the floor was getting marked with various shoe types on the passenger side.

My only other gripe is the rubber piping that keeps coming away from the tunnel edges.  Haven't thought too hard but there must be a better solution that I could try over the winter.

Thanks for that Craig,

Looks great, and is exactly the kind of look I was going for before I started wondering about carpets.

Are your panels Matt or Gloss? as they look Matt in that photo.

I really like the bare aluminium look myself - Seen a few people compliment this with chequer plate and thought it looked fantastic.

I've also seen a few non-carpeted ones with various holes drilled for drainage

Yes they're matt. The tunnel edges seriously cheese me off but I'd look for a non-carpet finish again when I get round to it.

Yes they're matt. The tunnel edges seriously cheese me off but I'd look for a non-carpet finish again when I get round to it.

Thanks again Craig,

I had my chassis powdered in Matt and can't decide whether to have the panels in Matt to match the chassis or in Gloss to match the bodywork, dash, seats, wheels etc.

What exactly is the issue with the tunnel edges you don't like?

The flippin rubber piping (at the 90 degree angle) keeps coming out. It's supposed to be tucked nice and tight but doesn't stay put. May try low tech approach and glue it....!

tunneledges_zps986256ae.jpg

Doesn't help that the top panels are different widths in places too....

If you get the other panels done in gloss they will show scuffs much more than the satin finish

Graig ...Could you get some rubber with a larger return on the inner where it is sandwiched between the chassis and the panels , or perhaps affix it to the chassis solidly so it does not pull out as you suggest  . Perhaps try woolies for the rubber .

You could always start by upgrading to a Carbon tunnel top  :westy:  :yes:  lol !!

• Like 1

If you get the other panels done in gloss they will show scuffs much more than the satin finish

Good point Julian, Thanks :yes:

You could always start by upgrading to a Carbon tunnel top   :westy:   :yes:  lol !!

Having just spent £50 odd quid on the SS gear knob (from California) the wife said I'm not upgrading anything in the foreseeable......!