V8 Knowledge Required

Young Pretender

The Ford T5 gearbox is also used with the V8's, particularly in more highly tuned examples. - TVR used the T5 on some models. Likewise, you'll see a few Westfields around using TVR versions of the Rover V8

I should have remembered that option, I used to spend a lot of my days off hanging around in the Sportscar Centre in Drakes Broughton back in the days they ran a couple of cars in the TVR challenge. Recall seeing a T5 on the bench with most of it's internals reduced to swarf by the enthusiasm of the driver.....  Presume a custom bellhousing was used but never paid any attention at the time. Wracking my brains trying to recall the name of their very successful driver....nope, failed.

I think the LSD bracing was intro'd around 2004. Probably a question best answered by the factory.

I think there is a thread in here from 2 years ago when it was discussed. I will try to find it.

Thanks Nick, don't worry I'll get in touch with Westfield so I'm clear.

Pete, thanks as well mate  :yes:

Think I have tracked down that thread nick:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/104422-is-there-an-issue-with-the-diff-cage-on-westfields/?hl=seight%20chassis

If I'm reading correctly all chassis' were standardised with the introduction of the Sport Turbo (what year was this?) and they all now look broadly similar to the picture below.  My interpretation is that the two wider tubes at the bottom of the diff cage (and extending under the tank), the 2 tubular 'U' supports on the side and the tubular cross member at the back are the extra strengthening that I wouldn't expect to see on an earlier chassis - Would appreciate a steer from someone if I'm off the mark.

My last car was a live axle so I haven't even seen a diff cage before!  :d

P1000979Large.jpg

No they're not all standardised, though the number of chassis variations has been significantly reduced over what it was.

Even the diff cage area isn't standard. The picture shown is the Aerorace chassis, though the Mega S2000 also uses the same rear diff cage, and I would strongly suspect the SEiGHT might too.

on the other hand, I've seen photos in recent build threads that show a rear that is slightly more simplified, without quite so much extra bracing. Particularly the extra diagonals.

• Like 1

Unlike you, I didn't do my homework when I bought mine 3 years ago. It is based on a 97 kit so didn't have the extra strengthening around the diff cage. Didn't spot the cracks in that area until a week after I purchased it, with a fresh MOT I might add ! Anyway I took it to the Westfield factory who advised not driving it any further, so I left it with them to do the necessary welding and strengthening. No problem since.

Clearly it is more of an issue once you up the power outputs. Mine has a 4.6 with around 275bhp and 300lbft of torque. The original engine was a 3.5, so the chassis was probably fine with that one, but not with the 4.6. I have an LT77 gearbox which is not as strong as the R380 or T5. I think it is close to needing a rebuild and may be this Winter's project. 

I did see a Chevvy powered Westfield advertised a couple of years ago, which had 450bhp ! It was out of my budget but very tempting. Not sure how difficult it is too fit one of these engines, but the tuning potential is better with this engine.

Not sure what your budget is? There are a few up for sale at the moment on Pistonheads.

• Like 1

Interesting post John.  I'm just keen to make sure I buy the right car - I'm not sure exactly what that is at the moment although I'm starting to get an idea.

I called Westfield technical department today and was told that the SEight chassis has been largely unchanged since approx 1998 when the diff cage was strengthened.  More recently the Westfield Turbo and S2000 chassis have also seen strengthened diff cages.

Interesting my 98 kit has no cracks and has run over 300hp since 2000. Guess I just drive like a granny or perhaps its already strengthened.

This was my new chassis when it was being powder coated is the best picture of diff area614A7C59-3F03-4041-9571-4339DE6F16C6_zps

Car as you know it now

0731F222-5FD4-4EB8-9909-455417A55E7F_zps

Have received advice that rover v8 power figures are often over inflated.  Would welcome thoughts on this particularly (but not exclusively   :) ) from those that have owned and tuned rv8's

standard engines - taken from wiki

3.5L - 158 BHP / 210 lbft

3.9/4.0L - 188 BHP - 236 lbft

4.6L - 225 BHP / 280 lbft

5.0L - 340 BHP / 350 lbft (Seems a bit high?)

tuned engine from here http://www.mez.co.uk/TuningTheRoverV8-pt4.html

ScreenShot2014-10-23at205955_zps7d44b231

I've built a Westfield 58 plate with a 4.6 hc engine fitted to lt77, the spec built with all top tip parts pushing 280 bhp. It can be done, but there is not much room for breathing, and heat can cause oil pressure problems in the summer

My stroked 3.9 now 5.0 ltr still on hydraulic lifters and a holley 750 carb makes an honest 380hp and 413lbft of torque

Oh when it was a 4.6 it made 333hp

Can't remember the torque figure will try and find the power graph

Also the 5.0 ltr should make more power as it is running a bit rich at the moment (9%)

FWIW, that chart looks like a decent stab based on my own limited experiences at least. My first one was cam & CR with some very minor port tidying and made around 200bhp (180 at wheels) on a Holley and tweaked standard dizzy, my second was the 4.2 with cam, again a bit of DIY porting and a slight CR lift, decent 4-2-1 headers with a balance pipe, properly mapped injection/igniton (not OEM stuff so no AFM in the way) and made 250/250 (IIRC). WIll see if I still have the power plot from that one. The first figure was from a RR I think was reasonably accurate, the second one from a RR I trust to produce very close figures and never to exagerate them.

I've heard some pretty outrageous numbers quoted for these. Don't know why they get over egged so badly TBH?? I do know I fell for it at first, until faced with the evidence to the contrary, and not just my own engines, quite a selection of dissapointments.

Will say one thing though....don't get too obsessed with the headline numbers - it's the curves that matter as well. The two I built had more what you'd call straight lines for torque and that gives you a lot of area under the graph which translates into instant punch. Personally, I liked that. YMMV