Dash Advice please

Glyn

I visited the factory yesterday and spent a brilliant 2 hours with Simon ordering my s2000 kit. I decided on most things but cannot decide on whether to go digi dash or analogue clocks. I thought the digi dash cars in looked really bare but not sure whether the dials suit such a sporty car... Help!!!

Not sure that anyone can really answer that one for you, personal taste plays such a part!

From a technical point of view, there are advantages and disadvantages to both. One thing to consider though, is that with analogue dials your choice is rather more limited with the Honda engine. (Westfield have had a set of gauges specially made that feature a tacho with a high enough Rev range for the VTEC motor and an oil pressure gauge that goes high enough). With the DASH2 this is all dead easy stuff to allow for.

In my case, I've used Stack analogue instruments, BUT, I had to get a factory special order Rev counter (which includes the oil pressure gauge) made by Stack in the US, which took a couple of months. (And was eye wateringly expensive). If I was using a standard dash layout, I'd have just used the Westfield supplied analogue instruments. (The car I'm building is a more traditional looking car, although it's a Mega S2000).

I admit though, there's much about the Dash2 digital set up that I will miss. (I had one in my last car).

I'll try and dig some pictures out of the last one.

• Like 1

I like analogues (maybe an age thing) but my eyes are tuned to seeing good things when the needles point straight up on temps and levels and easier than numbers or flashing red lights which can be obscured by sunlight in an open car. I do have a tacho with a digital speedo in the centre which is perfect to see only one gauge for revs and speed is secondary but you can easily see 30,40 etc to make sure you stay legal.

Digital dasghes save weight and space and are more configurable for the tweakers.

Cheers Jon

• Like 1

I couldn't find the later photos of the digi dash, but here's a shot just after fitting the windscreen.

ZE9T3771.jpg

And here's the current car, (Dash not fixed yet, just wiring in at the moment!)

IMAGE_104.jpg

• Like 3

It's very heavy, feels really solid in the palm of your hand!

:oops:

In S2000 land, there seems to be a lot of experience in favour of a weighty knob improving shift quality.

Oh, and it's Titanium coated!

• Like 2

As always, THANK YOU DAVE!!

Where did you get your nicer switches, thought the standard ones look a bit cheap.

Loved going to the factory yesterday, Simon was great. Santa is bringing me a great treat this year!!!

A friend has just bought a car and it has a cheap digidash and he's not impressed.

I'm old school and have the dials.  The rev counter doesn't go far enough, but I never look at it and sometimes miss the shift light too

As always, THANK YOU DAVE!!

Where did you get your nicer switches, thought the standard ones look a bit cheap.

Loved going to the factory yesterday, Simon was great. Santa is bringing me a great treat this year!!!

Do you mean the toggles?

A friend has just bought a car and it has a cheap digidash and he's not impressed.

I'm old school and have the dials.  The rev counter doesn't go far enough, but I never look at it and sometimes miss the shift light too

Cause and effect in the same sentence  ;)  :d 

A decent dash will let you set the rpm range to whatever you need. And have shift lights that show in all conditions. You can adjust the brightness of the DAS2 shift lights, even in the brightest of conditions, I've never missed them! They're bright on the max setting.

ZE9T3779.jpg

The toggles in the left of the picture above are just metal standard toggles, but with IP rated rubber boots fitted.

The gear knob is from Skunk Racing Products like this one

• Like 1

Here we go, sorry, looks like I don't have any photos of the old dash im it's complete and final state, but here is the das itself, minus scuttle and minus the crash pad that I fitted.

ZE9T4985.jpg

It can be as utilitarian, or as complicated as you want it! what I would say though, is consider keeping it simple at first; live with the car for a year, find out how you really use it and what you really need from it. And sometimes, that changes during the course of the first year or so. The beauty with the DASH2 is that it's really easy to adapt it and reconfigure it to suit. SOmeting that's harder with analogue dials.