So how do you bag a free upgrade on BA long haul fliights?

dave1888

Nope :(

Although my Son has been upgraded a few times from business to first, he allways was a stuffy sod :d

Yup.  Managed to crack an upgrade to the States with Virgin a few years back.  Right in the middle of the check in queue, so I've no idea why I was upgraded at that point, but it happened and made the flight much more enjoyable.

My tips - Wear something smart that will look OK in business class - tailored jacket and shirt, smart trousers and shoes; tee shirt and ripped jeans will rule you out.  Be polite to the check-in staff, smile a lot a and generally make out you are a nice person who will fit in if moved into business.  No harm in asking if upgrade is a possibility, but be tactful.  They want business class to look full, but don't want to upset the high-paying corporate regulars.  None of the above is a guarantee, but its worth a try.

Yep, it's possible, just get the wedding rings polished up and act like it the honeymoon.... That is assuming you're travelling with the missus, not the girlfriend haha

:laugh: My son regularly travels business with Emirates on his trips home from Thailand, he usually wears tracky pants and a tee shirt, so much for dressing smart :laugh:, and that's what he has on when he gets upgraded to first. Sorry to pee on your chips Mooch, but he blows your theory out of the water ;)

If you don't get the upgrade, make sure you get a box of chocolates in duty free and give it to the cabin crew as you board.  You will get very friendly service on the flight and often free drinks and food too.  Works for me every time.

This is counterintuitive, but if you know the flight will be very full, check in late.  They might be overbooked and will either have to give you some cash to take a later flight or bump you up.  Done this successfully twice.

If you have a frequent flyer card it happens , in fact I've just got a couple of long haul upgrades from Bus to 1st , sure as hell I won't be wearing a jacket and tailored shirt. T Shirts and dodgy shorts more like

It's your Donald Duck...

Helps to be a member of the frequent flyer club.

The will always upgrade the highest levels of club membership first.

I used to fly a lot, long haul every other week. When I got to Platinum with KLM the upgrades came pretty often.

All the other advice about being polite and smart is bang on. However you could be the nicest smartest guy in the world, but if the guy in front has a gold card AND even if his A*** is hanging out of his trousers, he will get the upgrade and you won't...

Even economy has different ticket types. Fully flex, changeable for a fee, fixed use or lose... And they will upgrade the most expensive first. So if you paid £700 for the economy seat next to me when I paid £300 for it, you'll get the upgrade not me...

An upgrade is nice, but you can get some right stuck up tools in there. The sort of folk who treat folk on less than 400k a year like dirt. Sure you don't have to talk to them, but I get ratty even sitting close to them...

• Like 1

Yep the upgrades go to card holders first.  I have had both BA Gold and Silver.  Regularly bumped up from Premium Economy to Business and twice from Business to First. Don't think there's any way to swing it if you don't have 'status' with the airline.

Yep, but my dad was a pilot for BA at the time, always helps  ;)

You must be dressed smartish to get upgraded from economy to Business Class, then when you check in talk nicely to the check staff and just ask.

If you don't get the upgrade, make sure you get a box of chocolates in duty free and give it to the cabin crew as you board.  You will get very friendly service on the flight and often free drinks and food too.  Works for me every time.

This is counterintuitive, but if you know the flight will be very full, check in late.  They might be overbooked and will either have to give you some cash to take a later flight or bump you up.  Done this successfully twice.

Come on Scott, how many times have you tried the "I'm a Chairman of the Board don't you know" line..?

• Like 1

Used to get Virgin upgrades - ex girlfriend worked there... 

Didn't get an upgrade on our wedding flights though - possibly due to the ex-girlfriend...!!

We got upgraded by Virgin leaving Chicago after our honeymoon. We made sure on check in that it was our honeymoon and it worked. Made the flight home very nice.

Come on Scott, how many times have you tried the "I'm a Chairman of the Board don't you know" line..?

Thats far more likely to get me moved to Cargo.

:laugh: My son regularly travels business with Emirates on his trips home from Thailand, he usually wears tracky pants and a tee shirt, so much for dressing smart :laugh:, and that's what he has on when he gets upgraded to first. Sorry to pee on your chips Mooch, but he blows your theory out of the water ;)

How times have changed......ahh well, I shall wear the lurex and diamante jumpsuit for the next trip!  Can't fail..... :d