v8 as a track/sprint car?

D7PNY

Got my wanted advert in the wanted section for a road legal track car but everytime I search pistonheads etc I find myself looking at a certain yellow v8 with 277bhp.

Needs a few things doing to it for what I would want but whilst I imagine it is pretty mental in a straight line and will sound fantastic but just not sure how good it would be on track and at the sprints.

Appreciate that it will be a bit heavier than others but can't decide if that puts it into the 'cruiser' category or if it would still be good on track?

Will I be dissapointed with a v8 feeling heavy?

Cheers,

Dave

This is a question I have been pondering too - very interested to see some views.

I imagine (and hope) that the difference is marginal.  What sayeth those that have owned both V8 Westy and lighter variant?

I am thinking of a V8 and I am lucky enough to have a very light car in my man cave at sub 400Kg's - not sure - depends which hill/circuit? 

Just do a forum search on Flymo, it was /is an awsomely quick V8 westfield sprint car. Got FTD at Aintree last year :d

My v8 is road legal and taken some FTD's and class wins and two championships

And still dies the school run

So yes they can do both

Will admit some tracks you have to Roark hard against the lighter cars

Thanks for the replies guys.

I really like revs but love a v8 for the noise.

Since hiring a mustang ltd edition in Vegas earlier this year I've had a hankering for a v8 and keep thinking that a westfield v8 could be fantastic!

It's hard to beat the V8 soundtrack, that's for sure.

Likewise, I know a few owners who trackday them too, to great effect.

I guess there's always going to be tracks/hills/courses that suit an ultralight bike engined car more, and there's always going to be those that favour the heavier V8 cars more.

there's always going to be those that favour the heavier V8 cars more.

The drag strip :laugh:

• Like 2

Love mine on the track. And still to have it properly set up so it still has surprises in store! For hill climbs the torque has to be a plus.

As I said in a previous post... if you are ever in Glasgow...

I had a V8 Dax Rush a few years ago. Fairly standard re-built 3.5L with fast road cam, mated to a rather agricultural, 5 speed LT7 gearbox. With the torque though, you find there's fewer gear changes to fluff.

Did a couple of track days and sprints. Despite it being road focused it acquitted itself quite respectfully. Was great on track, somewhere at the upper end when compared with Elise/Exige  Sprints found it finishing mid-class against some quite competitive machinery that arrived on trailers whilst I drove to/from. 

Best bit, of course was the sound and, with an exhaust either side, you get in stereo. :)