heads up Guy Martin's Spitfire C4 7:30pm

Marcus Barlow - Show and Events Co-ordinator

Great programme, but couldn't help thinking it was a replica not a restoration.

Definately worth watching for those that haven't seen it.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• s2rrr

• Lyonspride

• John K

• Rory's Dad

It is a fabulous aircraft.  £3m to build I heard.  But it's a perfect replica, not a rebuild.  Did anyone see anything of the original being used for anything other than templating?  Possibly the maker's plates with the serial numbers and that's it.  

Mind you, that's not surprising given the state of what came out of the sand.

The shot of when the test pilot brought it low and fast over the original pilot's daughters and Guy made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.  Just magnificent!!

We need more motorways where people unload 50cal machine guns into BMWs :p

Fixed that for you...
  • Like 1

£3m to build could be right.  They said the fusalage alone cost around £250k and the prop was another £120K and just think of the man hours to produce the ribs for the wings let along the engine rebuild and so on.  I loved the history that went with it but would have loved to have seen more of the engineering and the build.  True british craftsmenship.  

Young Mr. Martin obviously has an eye to the next stage of his career!

[curmudgeon] Lovely plane, but, at least for me, far too little engineering and far too much "human interest" in the show [/curmudgeon]

What I didn't "get" was if the way they built it was identical to how it was done in 1940 odd, then how the hell did we ever manage to get any into their air? The war would have been over by the time they'd finished one.......

Yes they were a masterpiece of engineering, but they were also mass produced (for the time) war planes.

They explained that loosely as Beaverbrook gave the old school a good kicking and upped production from next to nothing to 80 per week. Needs must at the time.

Bob :t-up:

Gold Cup Oulton Spitfire

One at Oulton Gold Cup day 2014

What I didn't "get" was if the way they built it was identical to how it was done in 1940 odd, then how the hell did we ever manage to get any into their air? The war would have been over by the time they'd finished one.......

Yes they were a masterpiece of engineering, but they were also mass produced (for the time) war planes.

£3m to build could be right.  They said the fusalage alone cost around £250k and the prop was another £120K and just think of the man hours to produce the ribs for the wings let along the engine rebuild and so on.  I loved the history that went with it but would have loved to have seen more of the engineering and the build.  True british craftsmenship.  

Young Mr. Martin obviously has an eye to the next stage of his career!

[curmudgeon] Lovely plane, but, at least for me, far too little engineering and far too much "human interest" in the show [/curmudgeon]

This is a fascinating documentary and well worth a looky:

http://youtu.be/vDzZnCkbxgs

R

I recorded it and I've just watched it.

That's my kinda program :d

It was a triggers broom, but there would be a lot of the original items that were rebuilt and refurbished but the largest proportion was remade.

I would suspect that the finish on that one was far superior to an original one from the war. They were building to a time and would have had many skilled people on certain parts working on it and many more semi skilled doing the churn over stuff.

Even if that cost £3 million it is still a bargain to support a skilled team.

As for the programme, yes I would have liked more of the engineering to have been shown but the bits that were I found fascinating. The pin that got too hot in his hand. That was a big pin so either he has furnace hands or the tolerances they ground to were so small. The problem for the makers is the attention span of viewers is so short and they like stories of daring hence they have to mix them in.

Still beats strictly

I'm lucky enough to have been shown around not one but two two seater spitfires at Goodwood last summer by Cliff the pilot who flew Guy. What a top bloke he was and the fact that he let Guy fly it I'm in awe especially flying with a ME. Lucky lucky boy

25C306C6-A4D4-4251-8F63-F25329546647_zps

You can now pay for a pleasure flight in a two seater spit but it's not cheap.

http://www.boultbeeflightacademy.co.uk/#!passenger-flights/c1exu

Im gona do this next year fingers crossed

I'm lucky enough to have been shown around not one but two two seater spitfires at Goodwood last summer by Cliff the pilot who flew Guy. What a top bloke he was and the fact that he let Guy fly it I'm in awe especially flying with a ME. Lucky lucky boy

25C306C6-A4D4-4251-8F63-F25329546647_zps

You can now pay for a pleasure flight in a two seater spit but it's not cheap.

http://www.boultbeeflightacademy.co.uk/#!passenger-flights/c1exu

Im gona do this next year fingers crossed

IMO, that is an experience that should not be made that "exclusive".........