Number plates for cyclists

Paul Gibney - Lancashire AO

Number plates on bikes would bring one thing guaranteed to be good, and that's cut down on the number of cyclists riding on the pavement.  I've had hundreds of close calls (and a few arguments) as a pedestrian in my time with idiots on bikes flying down the pavement, especially from behind or around blind corners.  I can tolerate bikes on the pavement when they're ridden at a slow, safe pace, but more often than not, they're doing 20 mph+.

One experience a while back still narks me.  Walking the dog on a lead on the pavement when a cyclist in full regalia comes flying past from behind, shoots between my dog and I, and the lead gets tangled in the front forks of the bike.  My dog gets choked and has her collar dig in to her neck from the strain of the lead being suddenly and violently pulled, breaking the skin of her neck slightly, and turning her into a quivering wreck.  Cyclist, totally unhurt but feeling aggrieved at being inconvenienced, comes back and starts yelling at me as I'm attending to my dog, blaming me for the incident.  How I did not smash his face in I do not know - but I do know that if he had a number plate on his bike, I could have sought some justice.

@ Allegory,

First of all thanks for your reasonable debating style, whilst it isn't as much fun as " yah boo sucks" it's a lot more productive..!

I can't agree with your comment on road tax being linked to emissions, emissions is a clumsy but mostly effective way to get the folk who can afford bigger cars to pay more.

In my opinion road tax will only be for "permission to use the road"

And with regards to a cycle club being like a tractor, sorry but I have to disagree. I live in prime bike and tractor territory.

Almost every tractor I have ever been stuck behind has pulled in at some point because they understand they are being an inconvenience.

Never and I repeat never has a cycle club gotten out of my way.

Roads are primarily a way of getting from A to B for a purpose. Having fun on them comes second.

I have a different attitude in the Westie than in the Mundane. I drive the Westie for fun, so getting stuck behind stuff is part of the day out as I am not trying to get somewhere.

I never am driving for fun in the Mundane so I think I should have right of way over those who are...

This is one of those deep rooted philosophical stand points on which folk will differ, let's leave it at that and be respectful to each other (not you and I, but both camps. You and I can properly fall out LOL..!).

Peace and love dude, peace and love....

• Like 1

Scott and John K I have to say I agree with you both. John especially raises some good points about fun vs need. I live in a beautiful area with road leading down the side of strangford lough and it is frustrating that you very often come across groups on that road with long queues behind them. There never seems to be the thought of holding up the traffic and as others have mentioned tractors etc tend to pull in and allow traffic past I have never seen cyclists do this.

Outside the office here there is a split pavement for cyclists on one side, pedestrians on the other with a small kerb between to give the blind a chance to tell one from the other. Sounds like a great idea except I'm amazed by the number of people wandering about with their face stuck in their phone, oblivious to walking in the cycle lane. 

Just waiting for the day when a cyclist wipes one out.

Likewise my ex company paid an arm and a leg to convert the unused pavement into a mile of fully marked, signed and ramped cycle ways, the road is narrow and you still had people cycling on the road, wobbling alongside the cars and tankers.

Out on my bike after lunch did the left hand red light bit no issues, also did not see any badly performing drivers, all good - today.

You can lead a horse to water.

Bob :d

TBH, I've no interest in cycling on the road, too many walkers, dogs, people opening car doors. If I fall off in the woods I've got nobody to blame but myself.

This weekend we're having a charity ride to raise money  for a local girl with disabilities, we're riding a downhill mountain bike course ... on kids bikes. No wheels bigger than 18", no BMX's. I have my Princess Sparkle bike ready, just hope she lasts past lunchtime without breaking in half. 

• Like 1

You can lead a horse to water.

But it takes considerable effort to hold its head under water and drown it.

Of course, you then have a dead horse you can flog.

However, I believe you may be overestimating my ability to lead a horse anywhere, let alone to water, to start with.

;) S

Seeing how the all powerful Chair started the silliness...

To quote one of the worlds greatest philosophers, Stan Laurel...

"You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be led"

I've ridden horses a lot but not bikes since I got knocked off my bike when I was 15 - by a scooter that just didn't look....

But the other day, we were at some crossroads and this typically chubby cyclist (grey tracksuit bottoms, shiny black anorak) wobbled his way down the inside of the traffic queue before going straight through the red lights (I was praying he'd get knocked flying, but unfortunately not so) - to add to my silent rant, a Police car was in the opposite queue but did absolutely nothing - I'm not sure what annoyed me more (the Police do nothing I think - I'm sure if I'd remonstrated to the Police, I'd probably have been booked for some trivial "infringement" such as flashing my headlights at a Police car :angry: ).

It's not just bikes though - many younger horse riders have no idea about road craft and will turn their horse across the road without even looking at what the traffic is doing - usually whilst texting their mates or posting their latest "selfie" on Facebook....

Arrrrrrggggghhhhhhh - I know I can't change any of it now - i just hope they all get their just rewards  :p       

As I cycle a lot more miles in a year than i drive my westfield, and i've just put a deposit down on a bike that costs more than many westfields, I really am horrified by the bigoted self righteous, i'll informed and anti-cyclist, and maybe even aggressive stance taken by some people here.

On all the other forums I frequent (cycling) there is never this same attitude against car drivers unless of course somebody has just been knocked off by one.

I honestly feel that i don't want to be associated with this club anymore because some members taint it so badly.

And just for the record, i hate cyclists going through red lights, but i actually see more motorists do it, sometimes at great speed, I don't condone big bunch riding, if it is a club ride there should be a "captain" who should ensure the groups split up to allow "leap frogging" by vehicles.  

I support assertive riding in the primary or secondary position (if you don't know what they are I suggest you read the Highway Code), not in the gutter.

I have 3rd Party insurance and believe all road users should have it, however just reflect on the amount of damage an un-insured cyclist can do versus an un-insured motorist.

Licence plates on bikes is a farcical idea, just think how it could be monitored and managed, how many kids bikes are there, what happens when they change hands etc etc.

Taxing road users should be appropriate to wear and tear on the infrastructure, i don't imagine there are many cyclists that can damage a road, by the way i already pay tax to upkeep the roads via income tax and Council Tax, I also tax 3 cars to a level deemed appropriate by the government, pay duty and VAT on fuel I use. In other words when i'm commuting on my bike, going to the shops. doctors or other non pleasure activity I feel i should get a rebate for the damage that i'm NOT inflicting on the infrastructure, the carbon monoxide nitrous oxide and diesel particulates I'm not producing.

• Like 1

ok from now on no one is allowed a opinion or to speak there mind , everyone can only say nice things about everything even if you think the oposite , no more mickey taking either ,that would be to much fun and we wouldnt want that would we :)  ;)

Well said Yanto. On forums with a wider petrolhead demographic you find an awful lot of car enthusiasts also like bikes. PistonHeads winter cycling tops sold out at the speed of an Aldi sale! Of the local Swindon Westfield owners I know on here (all regular posters most readers will recognise) at least three are also cyclists.

P.S. Perhaps a nice WSCC cycling top would be good ;)

with a target on the back :oops:  ;)