Number plates for cyclists

Paul Gibney - Lancashire AO

Or some other form of identification

To be able to prosecute

Bring it on I say

Sorry to any cyclists reading !

Manchester is wicked with the little bliters going through red lights.

Yellow wast coat with a circle back and front and free issue bows and arrows for a bit of sport

Terry

Sat at a set of red lights this morning and a cyclist weaves through the traffic behind me then rides across the red light and carries on down the road through oncoming traffic. Fat lot anyone can do without identification - I'd wished the car had a camera to prove the cyclist was at fault if/when a car runs into him.

Cant believe this is allowed any more than the road cycle racing. 

Agreed and insurance, can't remember if its Switzerland or Luxemberg that its compulsory so why not here.

Alternative we could ban the damn things from the roads altogether.

errr did i not bring this up months ago when the twit hit my elise coming the wrong way over a one way bridge , the same bridge that every sunday you get groups of coming over the wrong way ,chuffin morons

you should of been in middlewich the other weekend we had thousands of em and i mean thousands pooring through the town it was chaos , they were like a plauge of ants weaving in and around swamping traffic , chuffin ridiculous organised my A*** , it was a joke the town was drowning in idiots on bikes riding across pavements blockings junctions you name it , it even made the newspapers

they should give cattle prods to motorists or tazers to use on idiot cyclists , they should make that  legal ,that would stop the lycra wearing halfwhits thinking they can do what they want

Cyclists are just people. Some of them are muppets but the vast majority aren't. Being in big groups does convert a few from theatter to the former but again the same happens in plenty of other walks of life (no doubt group Westfield blats too!).

There needs to be a line drawn on identification. The current position seems sensible enough to me. Morons properly jumping red lights (not those setting off a few seconds before it goes green) will tuna truly get what they deserve. You'll find most proper cyclist carry some form of insurance (must sort mine out... ) also. I now await the stupid suggestion for cyclists to pay road tax. To give you a hint, bikes pay the appropriate amount for their emissions.

Cycling is something that should be encouraged. Fewer cars on the roads, the worlds' oil supply lasting that little bit longer so it can leak out of my Westfield in various forms, and most importantly stopping people getting quite so fat.

If you are doing nothing wrong and riding in accordance with the law whats the problem with being identified?

Long time since I was on a bike but there were plenty of emmissions coming from me to make up for the bike.

What's wrong with wearing a license plate to walk down the street? What about the government scanning your email and browsing history?

Lawrie - I think I already answered that if I understand what you mean (unless you seen cyclist falling off a cliff edge en mass?!). Groups of people do things individuals wouldn't. Be it cyclists, football fans, car meets, or a group of lads walking down the street.

What the problem seems to be it is people. Since Bradley Wiggins won every mid life crisis man know buys a bike. Once they do that they find other like minded people and herd together. It is at that point they forget basic common sense. In the same way horse riders insist of walking side by side chatting whilst a queue builds up.

If you go on cyclist sites, they bemoan car driver, if you go on rambling sites they bemoan mountain bikes and horses and horse sites bemoan everyone as apparently horses were here first.

We need simple things to happen to redress the balance, those doing stupid things prosecuting, be it horse bike or car. Police in cities need to hand out fines for jumping red lights etc just by standing at the side of the road, it would be self financing there are so many.

Once people see even handedness it will calm down, as it will when winter comes as the typical cyclist is a fair weather thing.

I'm not sure us Weatfield owners can call mid-life crisis on bikes. Bit worrying as I have both! Wonder if there's a third part to my (early) mid-life crisis?!

Just think guys, without cyclists and motorcyclists we would have far less organ donors to keep the transplant service going ;)

Speaking as a motorist, cyclist and ex motorcyclist of course :d

Well I used to own and ride horses, ride a bike and have a Westfield and what we need is people to obey the basic road laws and have a bit of tolerance for others wanting to use the roads. I hate cyclists who ride at night with no lights on and last week I witnessed a policeman on cycle patrol ride across a pedestrian crossing!

Motorists park in disabled spaces when they are not disabled, some car drivers have no tolerance for motorbikes saying they go too fast. We don't have enough police to stop what is happening IMHO

Well I used to own and ride horses, ride a bike and have a Westfield and what we need is people to obey the basic road laws and have a bit of tolerance for others wanting to use the roads. I hate cyclists who ride at night with no lights on and last week I witnessed a policeman on cycle patrol ride across a pedestrian crossing!

Motorists park in disabled spaces when they are not disabled, some car drivers have no tolerance for motorbikes saying they go too fast. We don't have enough police to stop what is happening IMHO

Spot on Terry! Me too (road bike/horses/cars/motorbike {illegal farm bike}/mountain bikes/walker)

Apart from I have got a road Westfield.

If ALL road users respected others and had good awareness of what was happening around them, this thread would not have been prompted.

Cyclists are just people. Some of them are muppets but the vast majority aren't.

Exactly, but they all get painted with one brush.

If a muppet drives a car, we'd say "bl**dy Audi drivers"

If a muppet rides a bicycles, we'd say "bl**dy cyclists"

All sorts of people drive/ride all sorts of vehicles, bicycles range from your £50 Halfrauds jobby, to a £20'000 full carbon race bike.

Each should be taken on an individual basis, not given abuse because some other muppet jumped a red light 3 days ago.

The worst (by far) cyclists are the one's who've been increasing in numbers over the last 5 years, the drivers cycling to save money off fuel bills. They get on a bike and feel like they're pedestrians, they feel silly stopping at red lights, they ride on foot paths to get past traffic, they ride unpredictably/stupidly and usually without the right gear.

The "Lycra lout", they have a bee in their bonnet about drivers thinking they own the roads and unfortunately some of them go out of their way to be annoying and to prove a point.

I have to admit when driving, I see drivers who squeeze past cyclists with inches to spare on a blind bend, then I sit back and wait for a chance to pass safety, 10 seconds later lo and behold i'm back behind the impatient driver again. What would have happened if a bus came the other way on that blind bend? Well it's a choice between hitting the bus or killing the "lower class, can't afford a car. doesn't pay road tax" cyclist.....

Risking someone's life to get to gain 10 seconds!!!! unbelievable and certainly not justifiable!