Just bought my donor

Andrew O Byrne White - Ireland AO

Get all the nuts and bolts sprayed with a good penetrating oil, first job

Get all the nuts and bolts sprayed with a good penetrating oil, first job

Yup. I'll be buying plenty of WD40 tomorrow. Also a trip into machine mart for some supplies. Anything in particular I'll need to have at hand during the build?

when i was stripping my mazda the best thing i brought was a 12" breaker bar found it gives just enough leverage in the tight spaces like under the car getting the diff and the prop shaft seperated. i also have a 36" breaker bar which i used to release the hub nuts my god they were tight. and all the other normal tools required to take things to peices. i slackened my hub nuts off whilst the wheels were still on popped the centre caps out of my eunos wheels just enough room to get th 1"1/8 socket through to undo the nut. like gary says get some penetrating oil on the bolts espcially i found the hub nuts and the bottom rear wishbone horizontal bolts as these are open to the elements and get pretty crusty

Cheers. I've bought myself a compressor and impact gun now so that should help with those difficult bits. Also need to buy a few lengths of steel for a small welding project so I'll make myself a breaker bar while I'm at it. I'm going to make a frame with some dolly wheels on it for the driver's seat from the mx5 for while I'm building the westie. What height do the westie stands hold the body at so I make it useable? I'm guessing I'll want to be sitting about 2 foot off the ground.

I think I'm going to have to move this stuff into a build thread soon before I start annoying moderators...

I had to use a heat gun on the hub nuts. Even a 6' pole on the breaker bar failed to crack the,. Although I made the mistake of trying to take them off after the brakes were removed.

I also made the mistake of trying to remove them after disassembling most of the rear of the car. In the end I just left them in and removed hub/driveshaft as one.

i dont know what height the build stands are because i made my own i made them about 2 foot of the groundi think if i was doing it again i would make them lower because some of the bits in the middle of the car are hard to lean over and get to. i also was going to make a seat to sit on but found an old stool to use and if im honest ive used it about 3 times whilst building the car.

Hi Andrew

Together with my girlfriend we are building a Mazda SDV Westfield.

At the moment the car is a rolling chassis with the diff and the engine and gearbox fitted.

If you want to see a car in it's naked state then please feel free to come round and see it.

We live in Edgbaston.

I'll PM you my mobile number and feel free to give me a call anytime if you want to see our car.

Hi Andrew

Together with my girlfriend we are building a Mazda SDV Westfield.

At the moment the car is a rolling chassis with the diff and the engine and gearbox fitted.

If you want to see a car in it's naked state then please feel free to come round and see it.

We live in Edgbaston.

I'll PM you my mobile number and feel free to give me a call anytime if you want to see our car.

Cheers, that would be really useful. Having all sorts of fun stripping The mx5 at the moment!

Stuck on these poxy hub nuts. I have drenched them in wd40, used an impact gun, heat gun and a breaker bar without success. Any pointers?

mine took about a minute of hammering with the air impact gun at work, if you can bring them to willenhall I can do them for you

Mine took a breaker bar with a 6 foot scaffold pole over it