Just bought my donor

Andrew O Byrne White - Ireland AO

...Well, nearly anyway. I'm picking up my 91 1.6 mx5 this weekend. I figure I'll spend a little time dismantling this and re-furbing the engine while I save up for the starter kit. I have been looking to get started on this for some time now and I'm delighted to finally be making a move on it now that I've gotten the nod from the missus (I may have slightly under estimated costs...).

One of the common complaints I have seen from people about early mazdas seems to be the viscous diff. I'm considering upgrading to a torsen diff out of a 1.8 when I actually get the kit but my main concern (other than the added cost) is how this would affect the IVA test? I know a certain amount of the car has to be original to retain the age related plates. If I go and change the diff (and with it prop shaft and drive shafts) am I risking getting a Q plate?

Can anyone on here offer any insight into how noticeable the difference between the two would be even?

I should have a bit of time to toy around with these ideas while I wait on a special offer from Westfield. How long have you all waited between order and collection too?

Cheers,

Andrew

:ww: Welcome, Andrew, and may I be the first to congratulate you on your choice of car and engine!   :t-up:

You will come across the Guru (Smokey Mow), and his Mazda SDV acolytes over the course of your build.  If you look at another recent post entitles ' Mazda SDV Build Diary' by Bunje you will see that the Guru answered the diff question the other day with this link.  

http://www.miata.net/garage/diffguide/

which should give you all you need.  You'll find all sorts of helpful advice here, so please use us!  Look forward to following your build.

I'd say you're unlikely to be picked up on a diff swap. Not sure how it works now the DVLA local offices are shut but on mine they were more interested in checking the engine number and chassis number were ok. Saying that, it wasn't registered particularly well on the first 5 attempts...

Welcome Andrew

In answer to your "how long" question, personally the time between order and delivery was around 6 or 7 weeks. Although I did have a delay with bodywork, which arrived quite a bit later, but in fairness that was with my consent and in a way to my own advantage really due to lack of storage space at the early build stage.

The other question you ask relates to Q reg. My understanding is that you only need two major components from the donor in order to qualify for an age related plate. So if you have the engine and gearbox, as well as the steering, uprights and driveshafts, then you are more than sorted. Although personally, I don't give a monkey's chuff what the plate says, as long as I get to play with my new toy. ;-)

Hi Andrew

From memory you are given a tick sheet where you mark the major parts that came from the donor, I don't think you will have any issues.

The DVSA are only aware of the engine numbers, only the manufacturers go into enough detail to record diff numbers etc (if mazda even have them).

Thanks all for the welcomes and quick answers!

:ww: Welcome, Andrew, and may I be the first to congratulate you on your choice of car and engine!   :t-up:

You will come across the Guru (Smokey Mow), and his Mazda SDV acolytes over the course of your build.  If you look at another recent post entitles ' Mazda SDV Build Diary' by Bunje you will see that the Guru answered the diff question the other day with this link.  

http://www.miata.net/garage/diffguide/

which should give you all you need.  You'll find all sorts of helpful advice here, so please use us!  Look forward to following your build.

I did actually stumble across that page and it was a very interesting read I have to say! All the theory points to the torsen being substantially better. That being said, I work for an automotive company and a few people have been telling me that it can vary a lot. A well set up car with an open diff can be as effective as one with a torsen LSD fitted so was curious as to other people's experiences.

Really looking forward to collecting the car. Transport booked now!

If you need to look at anything on a nearly finished Mazda SDV, I live in bromsgrove you are more than welcome to come over and have a look!

welcome to the forum andrew. good to see another mazda builder. if you have any problems just ask on here by far the most useful source of information. not too far from me or prawnabie either but he is much further in front on his build than i am. also my thread has just been updated with a little more info about the VLSD

If you need to look at anything on a nearly finished Mazda SDV, I live in bromsgrove you are more than welcome to come over and have a look!

Cheers, I may take you up on that! I've been reading plenty of build diaries and threads but would be nice to see one up close.

Welcome to the club Andrew :welcome:

Thanks all for the welcomes and quick answers!

I did actually stumble across that page and it was a very interesting read I have to say! All the theory points to the torsen being substantially better. That being said, I work for an automotive company and a few people have been telling me that it can vary a lot. A well set up car with an open diff can be as effective as one with a torsen LSD fitted so was curious as to other people's experiences.

Really looking forward to collecting the car. Transport booked now!

Dave (Darve) is probably a good man to offer up a comparision for you having changed his car from a 4.1 open diff to a 3.6 type2 Torsen earlier in the year. If he doesn't spot this thread I'll give him a nudge when I seen him at the weekend.

welcome to the forum andrew. good to see another mazda builder. if you have any problems just ask on here by far the most useful source of information. not too far from me or prawnabie either but he is much further in front on his build than i am. also my thread has just been updated with a little more info about the VLSD

Hah, nice one. I was thinking to my self "how did I miss this detail?" Until I looked at the post dates on your diff questions.

Welcome to the club Andrew :welcome:

Dave (Darve) is probably a good man to offer up a comparision for you having changed his car from a 4.1 open diff to a 3.6 type2 Torsen earlier in the year. If he doesn't spot this thread I'll give him a nudge when I seen him at the weekend.

Thanks as well! I look forward to hearing his thoughts on the change!

Cheers, I may take you up on that! I've been reading plenty of build diaries and threads but would be nice to see one up close.

Not a problem, I am hopfully applying for the IVA test next month - found out i still have 2 days holiday left at work so I will be burning the candle at both ends this month to get it finished - just in time for the good weather  :down:

It's here!!! Nice little 1.6 long nose crank. Such a great little car it nearly seems a shame to tear it apart even despite the rust.

IMG_0627_zpsyfdzzwvx.jpg