URGENT OWNER I.D. HELP NEEDED - Q78 JTT

Captain Colonial

Sounds rather suspicious, but these cars don't really get stolen to sell on, it (AFAIK) tends to be joy riders.

Shocking to hear how unhelpful everyone has been though.......

Hard to believe that it was never attached in any way to the club at any point in it's life :o

To be fair, the members and the factory tried to help with an owner name and contact details but were unable to do so, so at least they tried and I appreciate that. :)

The council was unable to help as it wasn't in their power to do so, so no blame there.

The poor man whose driveway it was parked in even got the VIN from under the bonnet for me, so he did all he could when he could have just pushed it somewhere else, so full marks to him too.

A little surprised someone in the police department had the attitude that they wouldn't help as it hadn't been reported as stolen, though.  Glad I could straighten it out and make them see the nature of the situation, but again the lack of a return phone call as promised (and which I didn't request, it was offered) is disappointing.

Thieves do this to check if tracker present. Then take it a few days later.

Good effort by scott, pity police just don't care but sadly not surprised.

Thieves do this to check if tracker present. Then take it a few days later.

Absolutely right... but they usually don't leave it in someone else's driveway, they tend to put it in a quiet side street or a car park.  That's what made me wonder what was going on - why leave it there?  Most odd and frustratingly, I doubt we'll ever know the story.

I have a fairly active imagination but I can't even begin to guess why somebody would do this...

But totally disappointing that the authorities wouldn't get involved. I bet if it was some celebs Range Rover the police would have been over like a shot.

• Like 1

When my Westfield was stolen on a BJ Minno trailer (which was all they were after) it was left abandoned in front of a farm entance, the farmer called the Police and, because I'd already reported it stolen, they got it recovered to the local pound where I was able to go and collect it undamaged...

I suspect there's more to this story but if the owner/keeper is abroad we may not hear what happened for weeks or months to come

anything is speculation at this point and your right wuv we may never know

I reckon its either been dropped off back at the wrong address after some work by garage etc  ,or has been dropped off by Shipley or such like at a wrong address after being delivered to a new owner , again speculation

Sounds rather suspicious, but these cars don't really get stolen to sell on, it (AFAIK) tends to be joy riders.

Shocking to hear how unhelpful everyone has been though.......

Hard to believe that it was never attached in any way to the club at any point in it's life :o

I think joy riders would have torched it in a layby......

"Hard to believe that it was never attached in any way to the club at any point in it's life" - I think that's an appropriate prompt for all of us to think about adding our cars to the Register in the members only section. I haven't as yet as I'm not sure how secure the document is on "Google Docs" (pretty secure according to Google) but I notice a number of people have *** their full reg.

Scott, is there a way to add some details about the members car onto the membership database so that we can feel confident the information is kept somewhere safe and not "on-line" in the big "cloud" - by all means we keep the Google docs version but I'd be reluctant to put my full reg on it.

The police are not too blame, it is the system that has built up around being PC in everything. As some know I was burgled and found some items on Ebay, anyway when they came to do my statement I had to sign to say "I have not given permission to any persons to enter my home and steal my goods" . I asked why and was told something had happened in the past and they had now been told to always add this in !!!!

As this car was not reported stolen, was not causing a traffic hazard to them it becomes a civil matter, which is barmy to say the least. From past experience Westfields only get stolen for their parts, they are so distinctive that selling complete is bound to get them caught, but bits is easy.

I always want some sort of idea where the goods I buy have come from. As rule of thumb, if they are too cheap something is usually wrong.

We may never know the full story on this but at least the club did their best to help.

Well weird!

Well done on putting the effort in though trying to sort it out and let the owner know :)

Really hope we get to hear what the crack with it was :)

"Hard to believe that it was never attached in any way to the club at any point in it's life" - I think that's an appropriate prompt for all of us to think about adding our cars to the Register in the members only section. I haven't as yet as I'm not sure how secure the document is on "Google Docs" (pretty secure according to Google) but I notice a number of people have *** their full reg.

When you pay up as a member you give over your vehicle details anyway (or am I losing the plot?)

When you pay up as a member you give over your vehicle details anyway (or am I losing the plot?)

You're losing the plot, but that's OK, you're only joining the rest of us in that respect. ;)

We stopped taking details of member cars at point of joining the club many years ago, simply because it became too difficult to administer and keep up-to-date when members sold or changed their cars.  We'd have to employ someone full time on this alone just to keep it relevant.  It just wasn't worth it, I'm afraid - that's why I created the voluntary register, which is pinned at the top of the Members Only area.  At least that way, the members could do their own administration and maintenance on their own car details.

Scott, is there a way to add some details about the members car onto the membership database so that we can feel confident the information is kept somewhere safe and not "on-line" in the big "cloud" - by all means we keep the Google docs version but I'd be reluctant to put my full reg on it.

It was something I considered when I created the register.  It would probably have been feasible to create new mandatory fields that all members would have to fill in, but that wouldn't stop them filling it in inaccurately or incompletely if they so chose.

I did create the register in such a way as to only give basic information that would only be useful to other members and not to nefarious ne'er-do-wells on the Internet.  Hence, only having a first name; a general area rather than town or street address; and general car details and discouraging members from putting their full registration numbers down.  It's pretty much sufficient for anyone who wants to participate to not feel threatened, but enough to narrow down a member car's owner and forum name.  So if for instance you saw a red Westfield with swept wings and noted the last three letters of the registration were MPU, the list would enable you to find out it was me you saw and could send me a PM if you wanted to get in touch. :)

It's rare that this sort of detailed information is actually needed at committee level, perhaps 1-2 times a year, such as in this mysterious car case.

So not poo-pooing your suggestion at all, good sir, I appreciate it.  The idea was considered, but we decided a Google document with limited information was the best compromise. :)

Scott,

Yes, I see your point (especially about people selling their cars etc) - it could indeed become a nightmare for whoever maintains it.

As for what happened, it could well be a "delivery" to the wrong address - my brother recently had his MGB collected off his drive to be taken to his place in France (as you do :rolleyes: ) - he asked me to oversee the collection as much to reassure the neighbours that it wasn't being pinched as to make sure it got loaded correctly. Apparently the chap who collected it works flat out moving cars around the country and the rest of Europe (especially "classic" type cars), so it may happen more often than we realise. Lets hope it was just one of these genuine mistakes.