Wheely?!?

Quinten

My front tyres are down to the wear indicator so I figured, I may as well put RoboS old wheels on as the tyres on those have plenty of thread left. Jacked the car up (with my Vectra jack as my low profile jack is off for repairs) and took my wheel off. Put the new wheel on and they won't fit! What the?!?!

2014-09-27+13_22_08.jpg

My hub is larger than the new wheels, so although the PCD fitment is ok, they won't actually slide over the hub. Seems I'm running some crazy hub size (see this thread and it is a major pain in the  :arse:

My current wheels have a slightly wider hub 'sleeve'

2014-09-27+13_22_34.jpg

and the new ones don't

2014-09-27+13_22_46.jpg

So I'm back to where I started... what f*******g hubs do I have?!?! They seem to be around 67-68mm.

That's not a separate spiggot ring in those new hubs is it?

I beg your pardon? Are you saying that there may be a ring inside the new wheel reducing the hub size? It certainly didn't look like it, but then I didn't investigate it thoroughly either...

A lot of hubs do come with them, yes.

Hard to tell from the photo but there is a line there that might be a joint.

thats a alloy hubcentric spacer on the origonal hub (not on the wheels the hub on the car) ,remove it and they will fit , but that must be a 10mm plus spacer

on there so will change the offset of the front wheel , but if you remove it your wheels will go on as it will then fit on the stanndard hub

• Like 2

Well having checked now, they do not contain spigot rings. Although from the pictures it is difficult to tell, but it is quite clear when you have the wheel in front of you.

2014-09-27+17_32_27.jpg

Also, the spacer is not the problem, the hub is. I tried it without the spacer, but the wheel just won't slide over the hub. The centre bore on the 'new' wheels is the more common 63.4mm, and my hubs are bigger than that.

Hi,

The first thing I thought when I saw the image to your hub (and what I think others are suggesting you look at ) is the hub ring does not appear to be normal. Can it be removed?

th_2014-09-2713_22_08copy_zps2c614341.jp

That's a good question. I will have to take the wheel off again and investigate that part. The lighter coloured centre bears a Ford stamp

Have a real close look and see if it appears to have a joint line. It may be just a press on hub to match a particular sized wheel.

Quinten

I know you could swap Ford 4x108 wheels to a Peugeot (same PCD but larger hub - 65.1 I think) - my son pinched some of my old Westfield wheels when he had a 306. Obviously can't do it the other way round as you'd get the same problem you have.

The grease cap could well be marked Ford but doesn't necessarily mean the hub is (we all know how "ingenious" car builders can be ;) )

There are / were quite a few cars with the same 4x108 PCD but I would expect their hubs to not have such an offset for the discs as the old Cortina had http://www.wheelfitment.eu/PCD/4x108/65.1/

I have some original Cortina hubs and discs (with bearings I think) you can have if you want to pop over some time - the other thing you could check is if there's a Ford part number on your hub anywhere (It'll be on the reverse side - mine have 74BB1106A0)

Out of interest - how thick is the hub flange - the Cortina one I have is just over 10mm - the first picture of yours looks thicker (and there's a slight change of diameter in your picture - are you sure that isn't a steel spacer that's blended into the original hub?)

Hi,

The first thing I thought when I saw the image to your hub (and what I think others are suggesting you look at ) is the hub ring does not appear to be normal. Can it be removed?

th_2014-09-2713_22_08copy_zps2c614341.jp

thats what i said .its a hubcentric spacer

• Like 1

thats what i said .its a hubcentric spacer

Exactly but I think that point was misunderstood by Quinten hence the arrow to clarify.

:)

thats a alloy hubcentric spacer on the origonal hub (not on the wheels the hub on the car) ,remove it and they will fit , but that must be a 10mm plus spacer

on there so will change the offset of the front wheel , but if you remove it your wheels will go on as it will then fit on the stanndard hub

I owe a massive apology to Steve.  As it turns out, they are hubcentric spacers, and they came off quite easily.  At the back of the car though, they are normal spacers, but the same problem still applies, the hub is bigger than the new wheels allow

2014-10-04+13_14_11.jpg

The new wheel fitted to the front of the car, without the hubcentric spacer. The wheel bolts are long, but do not protrude beyond the wheel and do not interfere with the center cover.

2014-10-04+13_18_04.jpg

The offending item ;)

2014-10-04+13_15_14.jpg

The hub at the back of the car. Does not look like it can come off this time, but I am wondering if I could remove about 1cm of the ring with an angle grinder?