Black wheel nuts

TAFKARM

I went for those covers with my black R888 on Toyo Proxy 13", look very smart as if there are no nuts at all!

Be careful where you get your nuts from !! A while back I bought some for revolution wheels from eBay - when torqued up they split in half ! Plastic nut covers get my vote

I've ordered the nut covers...will post some before and after when they arrive...

• 2 weeks later...

I need some new nuts ! :d

What size?

Assume all Westies same if ford 4*108?

studs are 12x1.5 but you can get 19mm nuts ( normal) or 17mm nuts

studs are 12x1.5 but you can get 19mm nuts ( normal) or 17mm nuts

Muchly ta Terry

I currently have 19mm nuts, any pros/cons of 17mm.

Not really but I suppose 17mm are lighter

I use 19mm on my blade!

They are made in Hong Kong so don't know about strength and quality

Also they are too long for competing as studs should ideally stick out of the open end. You need about a 25mm nut I think whereas these are 40mm long

Hong Kong source did concern me Terry. They're for road wheels not sprints (just my current set look a bit battered)

They 'appear' to be same as D1 Spec nuts sold by epracing in Leicestershire but at much lower cost.

Ring Epracing and ask where the nuts they sell are manufactured

Would you recommend these then Westy?

not if you're using the car for sprinting. Aluminium nuts are specifically disallowed in the MSA blue book unless original fitment by the manufacturer.

I wouldn't buy Aluminium wheel nuts* off an Internet seller at all, unless it was one I knew very well and felt to be 100% reliable and trustworthy.

As had been discussed before, one of the biggest issues with Chinese gear isn't the quality of the design, that's often extremely good! It's that an outwardly identical component might be made of exactly the specified (and designed for) material with all the correct heat treatment processes for one company. While the same (or a similar) production line runs a batch of knock-off versions out of cheaper, inferior material and lacking the costly heat treatment stages over night, or over the weekend.

I'm afraid car parts, in particular performance car parts suffer notoriously from this. I know of one highly respected engine builder who was forever being approached to resell Chinese "budget" steel rods, crankshafts etc. every time, they looked top notch, but he would get the metallurgy tested and it would be crap.

Rant over!  :d 

*oh, and unless it was for competition where every last tiny detail counted, (and regs allowed) I wouldn't fit aly wheel nuts on a road car myself anyway, but that just my bias! :oops: