Exhausted

Quinten

After my exhaust came off earlier in the year, and a replacement was offered by Barny, I now need to cut a small section off the manifold, as the link pipe on the new exhaust is longer than my current one.  I am considering to wrap the manifold at the same time, which would then tidy up that side of the engine (have a heatshield there currently, but it is frayed, ugly and untidy).  As I am unsure in what condition the bolts are, I would ideally like to replace them all with shiny new ones, along with the gaskets.  I have found these on Ebay, but I am not sure if they are good/bad or if it even matters what the material is...  And with regards to the gaskets, are the Cometic from Burton still the ones to go for? Do I need to worry about the large bore comment?  Is cutting off a piece of the manifold easy enough to do with a jigsaw and suitable blade, or would you advice to visit an exhaust centre and let them do it?

Quinten

You'd probably need to use an angle grinder with the appropriate cutting disc to shorten your pipe. If you don't fancy tackling it yourself I'd recommend giving local member Jody a ring at Kimbolton (JA Kit and Customs - 01480 861954)

Guessing that you'd need to measure what bore manifold/exhaust ports you have to make sure you pick the right size, as it's likely some X-flows will have larger bore outlets depending on state of tune

My manifold just bots straight through, i've never seen those stud things before.......

Exhaust gaskets just need to be the correct bore, so check what yours is.

The manifold is most likely stainless steel, so a saw might not do it, you may have to attack it with an angle grinder..... Which I know Aldi are currently selling for about £20 + cutting discs (£5).

Cheers.  Always fancied an angle grinder (just cos power toolz!) so this may be a good excuse to buy one :)

So the bolts linked to are possibly not suitable, but which ones will be?  And with regards to the bore, I can only measure that when I've removed the manifold first?

That's correct

It's quite common for studs to be used on factory engines, with the manifold secured by nuts. I removed them on mine and used cap head bolts as it was a little neater looking

If you're already using bolts on your manifold, seems little point in considering re-fitting studs. Namrick do a good range of bolts (google is your friend) if you need any new ones and their service has always been quick and reasonably priced when I've had stuff from them.

You'll just need to measure your existing ones to get the correct length and also measure the pitch of the threads. I'm guessing that this might be 1.5 mm (distance between the peak of each thread), but do your best to check using a ruler or gauge

Yep bolts are the way to go, cap heads make it easier to get them tight against the somewhat spanner-constrictive Westfield manifold, especially once it's wrapped. They're standard m8.

Cometic gaskets are good but you need to double-up to get a good seal and they're basically the same as the Burton ones which are half the price. The large bore ones come in two sizes, 33mm and 35mm, the 33mm are the ones you need. Here's a link:

http://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-fitment-type/parts-by-engine-ford/ford-cross-flow-kent/large-bore-exhaust-gasket-set-33mm-x-flow-fp702a.html

Don't get the 35mm ones as they just blow, they're too big for the Westfield manifold.

As for exhaust wrap, Thermal Velocity is the best supplier. I bought some cheap stuff off Amazon first, it went white and fell apart within a few hundred miles, awful stuff. I replaced with Thermal Velocity's stuff which was MUCH better, still black and holding strong when I sold it on to Neil.

Hope that helps!

Should have said Q, I've got all the bolts and gaskets that came off my crossflow in t'other garage, you're welcome to them if you want to collect at some point.

Cheers! Liking the look of the Magma wrap from Thermal Velocity, and M8 capped bolts should be easy enough to source once I've found out what length and grade. I'll get those gaskets from Burton then as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally a day to myself and having removed my exhaust, started to measure up the new one.  Turns out that I don't actually need to cut anything off the manifold, but that the link pipe is of such shape, that it won't clear the body  :cry:

2014-10-12+14_41_36.jpg

Comparing the link pipes

Mine:

2014-10-12+14_42_15.jpg

New one:

2014-10-12+14_41_45.jpg

So yet another Q special; aka buying an item that won't fit his car  :cry:  :swear::cry:  :swear:

On a more positive note, I managed to remove the manifold and only need to remove one bolt from the engine after the hex head rounded and it failed to come out.

2014-10-12+16_00_35.jpg

2014-10-12+16_00_25.jpg

2014-10-12+16_00_13.jpg

Can anyone recommend a good (but not too expensive!) screw thread/pitch gauge so I can doubly make sure I am buying the right screw replacements?

Sorry Q I had no idea it was different, assumed all Westfield standard exhausts would be the same! I'll take it back and refund you if you can't make it work, I'm sure I can find another home for it.

Sorry Q I had no idea it was different, assumed all Westfield standard exhausts would be the same! I'll take it back and refund you if you can't make it work, I'm sure I can find another home for it.

It's not really your problem Barny, but the offer is much appreciated. I don't think the link pipe can be amended without taking the whole thing apart, at which point I may just as well have a new exhaust made to measure (for the kind of costs involved).

Quinten,

You could look at putting an angled extension piece into the system between the manifold exit and the silencer (depends of course how far back the silencer goes and its mounting point).

Jetex have lots of mild steel parts - many clamp on, some weld - might be worth a shot before a custom exhaust system

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/exhausts/jetex-performance-exhaust-systems-parts/2-inch-diameter/mild-steel-parts

Edited: with regards the bolts (Allen bolts) then the length is always measured from under the head (so in you diagram the nearest size would be 50mm) M8 threads are normally 1.25 pitch but can be had in fine at 1.0 (I've never seen them at 0.75). I'd use zinc plated 12:9 which are readily available on eBay

Have a look here http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Balls-Nuts-And-Bolts

Cheers for that. I had a quick look at the Jetex parts but require some more measuring to see if they could work or not. It is certainly an option to explore.

With regards to the bolts, although I've yet to confirm this with a pitch gauge (on order), I am led to believe they are 2" 5/16 UNC capped bolts. Every reference I found to the bolts normally used for Crossflow exhaust manifolds say they are, and if studs are used (like the ones in my 1st post) they are 5/16 UNC in the block and 5/16 UNF on the external side. Happy to be proved wrong though!

Yes, you're probably right about the studs / bolts - I seem to remember my XE ones are a course / fine thread mix but metric - X Flow be slightly older almost certainly a mix of UNC / UNF.

Personally I prefer the stud method as I think it's better not to put too much pressure into the cylinder head threads and take the load on the studs and nuts (often copper nuts?) - replacing a stripped nut is far easier than repairing a stripped internal thread :)

• Like 1