Brian James Car Trailer

pkbipswich

HI, We are selling are Brian James Car trailer so we can upgrade to a shuttle trailer, every thing is in perfect working condition and comes with ramps, manual winch, lockable chest which holds 4 25lt fuel containers, tyre rack and lockable tow hitch.

We have been using it for our wide body westfield.

Trailer is based near Ipswich, Suffolk

Price is £1500 or if you have a shuttle trailer and are wanting to change to a open trailer we would be interested in a part ex deal.

Tel: 07771624980

Pictures of the trailer:

IMG_1804_zps34ab8900.jpg

IMG_1807_zpsf77cc0c3.jpg

I am truly curious, how do you get the nose weight down to a reasonable level of, say, 50-75kg with a set of wheels and160 litres of fuel ahead of the centreline. My Pinto engined car has to sit right at the back of my BJ Clubman to get the noseweight right. Maybe it's the weight of the iron engine...

We have never had any problems with weight and we always carry as much fuel as possible and a full set of spare wheels.

It may be because we have our tow bar at the correct height which makes a huge difference.

To be honest you can't tell you are towing it.

The height of the towbar is dictated, in most cases, by the design of the towing vehicle. The maximum nose weight for my car is about 70kg so I try to drop between 55 and 60kg for safety's sake. I cannot imagine that a set of wheels over the nose of the car would make that possible. Perhaps it's a combination of an iron engine and low mounted towbar? The previous owner of the trailer had the front stops set farther forward than I can have them - he had an alloy block ISTR.

Put the car on 6inchs further back?

It's pretty close to the back of the trailer already. I haven't got a picture of it on the trailer, but next time it's up on it I'll take one. As the Brian James factory fitted adjustable front stops are at their most rearward position, I must conclude it is due to the weight of the Pinto block that causes the CG to be so far forward. What I don't know is how critical the nose weight is; I'm not at the limit at 55-60 kg but without spring assisters (currently on the shelf in my garage awaiting fitting, the car will sag somewhat with the trailer attached. My driveway has a sharp change of angle at the transition of the drive/kerb/roadway which might cause the jockey wheel to bottom out if the car sags too much.

Put the car on backwards

Put the car on backwards

That had occurred to me too. As long as I don't carry wheels or fuel on the trailer I am okay with the present arrangement. I may try backing it on just as an experiment but I suspect there will then be an intractable negative nose weight. You just can't win with a Pinto! :d

Put the jerry cans in the car , simples !

They go in the tow car behind the seats at the moment! The irony is that they aren't for the Westfield, that needs only a couple of spare gallons and a full tank to start with. They are for my son's Z4M - it drinks like a fish on trackdays. 

• 6 months later...

I know somebody that might be interested. Tried phoning him and he's out. Could you give me first dibs please. Should be able to get back to you later today.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.