Grandson = Jammy git

Captain Colonial

Just finished a WhatsApp text / photo conversation with my 24-year old grandson, who's been in Australia for a year and headed home via Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia and Laos, home for January.

He's friends with a friend of the chief mechanic for Vettel and managed to get a VIP access all areas pass to the track for this weekend's F1 race.  Just got selfies of him with Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso, Bottas, and Daniel Riccardo.

And Frank Williams.

And Christian Horner, who is also from my home town and went to the same school as my grandson...and invited him back to the Red Bull hospitality centre where they shared beers and talked one on one.

He also got to go into all the garages and chat with all the teams, while behind him, people paid $200 just to walk down pit lane with no access.

Not sure whether to be totally chuffed for him or pig sick with jealousy.

Maybe I can do both. :d

Will post piccies tomorrow. :t-up:

I'll do the pig sick for you if you like!  ;)  :d 

• Like 1

Perfect expression for this chap...

"spawny get"

You literally can't pay for that kind of access...

Nice one, I'm just jealous...

Tell him well forgive him if he sends his Grandad some more cracking photos we can all enjoy!

That's great! Nearly money can't buy stuff (as close as f1 can get anyway!). Of those people I'd most like a chat with Frank Williams.

Edit to add, I can't believe you have a 24 year old grandson!

[Confuscian mode]

We all fall on our feet sometimes, even if we mostly fall on our faces.

[/Confuscian mode]

Good luck to him -- good that he's thinking of his dear old grandad enough to send photos!

P.S. I thought Horner was a Brit!

[Confuscian mode]

We all fall on our feet sometimes, even if we mostly fall on our faces.

[/Confuscian mode]

Good luck to him -- good that he's thinking of his dear old grandad enough to send photos!

P.S. I thought Horner was a tit !

experience of a lifetime, that's one to remember

OK as promised, a few of the photos of the jammy git and company - apologies for the quality on some:

JG with his new beer buddy Christian Horner:

IMG-20140918-WA0003.jpg

Of course, it doesn't hurt when JG's girlfriend looks like this:

IMG-20140918-WA0002.jpg

One of the Mercedes going by in front of him (idiot - next time, use landscape mode):

IMG-20140918-WA0006.jpg

JG and Valtteri Bottas, who actual thanked JG for wanting to take his photo with him:

IMG-20140918-WA0007.jpg

No idea, was too much in shock by this point - feel free to tell me if you know.  Note all the people behind the tape - they each paid $200 to walk pit lane behind it.  On a Thursday night.  Before first practice had been run today.  That kid really is jammy.:

IMG-20140918-WA0008.jpg

JG and...I can barely type this... Lewis Hamilton:

IMG-20140918-WA0004.jpg

I may just cut him out of my will.

Seriously, I'm chuffed to bits for him.  He's one lucky so-and-so and he knows it, loved the whole thing and ate it up.  Glad he's a confident, well-travelled young man grabbing life by the scruff of the neck and enjoying it. :t-up:

But here's the galling bit - he's not into F1 at all.

Best thing is, all the folks the other side of the $200 line are saying "who the .... is that dude..."

Scott, I think he got the pass because he name dropped his granddad as being the chief man at the Westfield Sports Car Club !! :d

Hasn't he been down to see Caterham .......... :p

• Like 1