More changes to F1

Sparkymart

Prior to this season I'd have said the FIA can do one and should have better things to worry about. However my perception from this season is that it has got a little much. It's a shame as it's an interesting dimension to F1, particularly when you hear different driver relationships with their engineers.

Is it just a front so the FIA can stop the public from hearing team orders or is it to really to stop the engineers "Coaching the drivers" FIA's words not mine

I've only just put the foil hat away after Spa

The way this year is going, I'd just leave it on all season.

Might just paint my head with silver Hammerite...

They'll always find a way round it, it will be a series of flashing lights on the dash telling them what to turn what dial to.

IMO they should do away with shore-to-ship radio. Drivers can radio in with a problem or when he wants his pit stop, Lewis can spend an hour whinging about something trivial.

Engineers shouldn't be able to run the race by turning the dials, once the lights go out it should be down to the driver alone to manage temperatures, tyres, pressure, fuel etc and drive his own race. Fair enough, gather telemetry to analyse the performance after the race but people on the pit wall shouldn't be able to change any settings once the cars are on the track, they're having far too much influence on the race and the driver is now a puppet turning dials to the right numbers. There's nothing more uninspiring than the quickest cars in the world being driven at 70% to manage fuel and tyres. Get out there and ring its neck until you see the flag like the good old days.

• Like 2

this could just go the other way, so the engineers cant tell the drivers certain things so instead they will just make the changes without the driver knowing. bang no team orders needed driver will know as he will feel it in the car. so instead of them appearing to be puppets driving via a radio they will be puppets just doing the steering.

who cares what the radio conversation is or if someone wants to moan about another driver. either that or just give them a tablet sytle screen in the car so they can access all the info themselves??

To me F1 died years ago, in fact almost all the great old school motorsport events have been ruined by bureaucracy.

• Like 1

To me F1 died years ago, in fact almost all the great old school motorsport events have been ruined by bureaucracy.

Deffo... Money and politics always spoils whatever it touches...

And that's before you factor in some of the Greasy Weasels that are involved who like to do stupid things just to show they've got the power to do it...

Yep, and money, corruption, politics, egos, sponsors, trophy girlfriends, rules, radios ...

Lots of things are ruining F1 for the fans

And corporate hospitality, and health and safety and corruption.

However, I shall continue to hear the little voices telling me to go faster

Many of the above reasons have stopped me watching and following F1 for about 5-6 years now.  In its place I follow the BTCC.  Phenomenal racing at close quarters and, although there are still rules regs and scrutineering, it seems to be on a sensible level.  Plus the coverage on ITV4 is extremely good.

At the weekend, I watched the inaugural EPrix from Beijing.  I must Admit, I really tried to get into it, for the technology and for the fact that it was the first one.....I failed miserably.  25 laps of a square street circuit (almost) made up of a few straights, fewer corners and a couple of artificial chicanes just didn't cut it.  Plus the sound those cars made, akin to a dentist's drill, was hideous compared to an F1 engine on full chat.

So, no F1 nor EPrix for me... 

Anyone who thinks the old days simply involved going flat out and not managing many aspects of the car simply has no idea what they are talking about.