Car's been damaged - advice needed!

daggartuk

Hi all, the other night I finished attaching my new factory carbon fibre look front wings and locked the car away. I came back from work today and the wife said an engineer from our gas provider had been to fit a new meter which is located in the garage. I went to see the work, but then noticed that the front nearside wing has several scratches and a chip where the laquer and cf pattern has been damaged. I'm absolutely gutted having taken my time to produce a neat finish and have contacted the gas company to complain. They say they will be in touch within 24 hours with a response.

Has any one had any similar experiences or be able to offer advice on how I should proceed?

Thanks

Gareth

Keep at em i would say - dont be made to wait

A big company will see your scratch as a minor irritation so be a pest until its sorted

Playing devils advocate...how are you going to prove the damage was caused by them?

Reasonable questions to ask - I can't prove it was them but am certain it was. All was fine when I locked the car up the night before, I'd even given the wings a coat of wax and they were gleaming. The following day the only person to have been in there was the gas man and the meter is on the wall only a couple of feet away from the damaged wing.

The fact though that I can't prove something is what worries me. For that matter though, even if I had been there and he had damaged the car in front of my eyes, I still wouldn't be able to prove it. Surely there must be some safeguard in place to protect consumers in situations like this? Anyone any ideas?

I'll be honest here; I make it a goal of mine (since the start of this year, where someone got away reversing into me scot-free!) to chase anyone down for this kind of thing. I hassled BMW for 7 weeks, but eventually they replaced my Aircon unit for free, with a RRP inc labour of £750. I had no proof it was them except that it was working before, wasnt working after, and so on.

Step 1. Pictures. Make sure you have these to hand to email over when needed.

Step 2. Call the call centre. Be a pain. After a bit when they're sending you round in circles, ask for a manager.

Step 3. When the manager undoubtedly fails to call you back, call again. Take down EVERY name. Create yourself a little hierarchy of each of them, and note who you spoke to when. This is key.

Step 4. Keep pestering on the phone, stating criminal damage, that you'll contact the watchdog, consumer relations, and every other kind if this is not solved to a satisfactory level; YOUR satisfactory level. You have pictures to prove, and that it was a locked garage with the only entrant being the engineer. Also throw in the 'Are you calling a customer's wife a liar?'

Step 5. Google the names of the CEO/Customer Service Exec, get some mobile numbers/email addresses. DO NOT USE THEM. Thats your ace up the sleeve.

Step 6. Get as high as you can with escalations. Once it cant go further, explain that your next step is to contact these people, and that if they check their global corporate address book, they'll see youre on the money. Also state you'll be giving every name under the sun that you've dealt with, all of which reside under his/her management. Twitter is also a good little tool for pushing it over the line.

Step 7. Enjoy the backpedaling :)

The trick to all of this...be the nice guy. Kick up a fuss, but dont forget...many are just nice folk who CANNOT help. The aim is to find a way past all the redtape-tied folk, to the one that can do something.

• Like 1

Did you take photos the night before?

They should have public liability insurance ask for claim details

Small claims court is easy to do online

He should have asked to clear the area if it was tight

Kalli, thanks for such a detailed reply!

Yes, I did take photos the night before and whilst they show nice shiny wheel arches, the shots are not close-ups.

No problem mate. Just big emphasis on being the nice guy....but one that wont budge. Eventually you'll be using up so much of their time, that they'll give up anyway quite often. As long as you dont lose your focus and go all 'red mist' on their ass, they'll try and help you most of the time.

And this is sexist but...the women on the phone are the most helpful in my experience. I dont know whether its my overly camp voice or just coincidence, but they always jump through hoops for me, rather than the fellas.

What Kalli said: be nice but totally persistent....

They'll more than likely be in touch and send the engineers manager out to inspect the damage, who may question the damage, and if you stick to your guns firmly and politely they'll either offer a cheque to go towards replacing or liability insurance. Liability insurance is unlikely for anything worth less than 250 quid. I used to manage a team of gas engineers so understand the system they use, I wouldn't worry I'm sure it'll get sorted without too much hassle, but the forms will have to filled in. :)

Had to put a claim in against the gas board a few years ago, (after they plumbed in a pore shower take off incorrectly while changing a hot water cylinder); I wouldn't exactly say they gave the run around, but it was a case of politely but firmly sticking to your guns and escalating it up through the tiers until you reached someone that could really do something.

Made it in the end though.

It might also be worth pointing out

It's a comparatively cheap easy fix to replace a wing

Not like a colour match respray on a posh tin top which needs days in a spray shop and a hire car as well

You should be alright with your claim there.  They will have insurance as do any Public Utility, so  the inspecting engineers will see sense when you explain the new wing fitting and that no one else has been in your garage.