42" or 36" LED TV with free view

Terry Everall

I ned to install a 42" or 36" LED TV with free view in a rental property for students

Any cheap sources or advice welcomed on LG, Samsung, or other makes etc

Seriously, go to your local Richer Sounds and ask them for the best fit for your needs.

I can't speak highly enough of their customer service and they sell great value sets that the folk who 'only want the newest and the best' ignore.

LG are coming on in leaps and bounds and are worth a look. Sammy make excellent TVs across the range.

For a sensible rental property set, either of those brands will be fine. To be honest unless you are a saddo looking for a top flight screen for playing games on (I am one of those...) the quality of all the mainstream TVs produce are much of a muchness.

They just pile on useless features in an attempt to differentiate themselves. I will guarantee 90% of folk use these technical bejazzels once and never again.

Go to Richers and tell them you have £xxx to spend and let them choose.

Only thing is to make sure it has decent built in speakers. Most screens now assume you have a dedicated AV amp and tend to ignore the audio side.

Sorry missed the student digs bit... Make sure it has a decent number of HDMI inputs as they will want to plug loads of gadgets in. And because of the "yoof" factor they might be considering a web connected early gen smart TV as a necessity. But then the whole connectivity issue raises it's head.

I'd advise just a decent spec 32" with 3 HDMI inputs and stay away from the connected Smart stuff. Tell them to browse for smut on their tablets LOL...

We have an LG and it's been spot on, used to have an Hitachi, it broke and we had it repaired, turns out that bits of it were produced by LG anyway so decided to just buy an LG.

Sometimes you end up paying for the name.

Thumbs up for richer sounds from me too, and they give a 5 year parts and labour warranty too :t-up:

I will take a trip to Richer Sounds

You may have problems finding a 36in soon. The CEO has always refused to have the sitting room dominated by big screen TV, we are about to change and chuffed that the 36in screens are almost the same size externally as the old 32s. Trouble is most manufacturers are only making 32/42/60 in sets so our new 32in will actually be smaller externally which has put a smile on some ones face. 

your a good landlord if your supplying tvs to students in rentals ....

Sounds like a wise move to me, letting students have their own electrical gear is just asking for trouble.

The price does increase but students are now demanding big TV's. DVD player, broadband and are prepared to pay for it 

In my case an extra £120 per month between 3 students

Just bought a 40" Samsung, non smart, TV for £329 from John Lewis. Superb picture and easy to setup.