Weird electric issues

bigron

Hi all,

I took my car to Cadwell Park on Thursday and had an absolute blast.

Aside from getting a tad hot the car never missed a beat. Having got home however I noticed a few funnies with the electrics. The fuel gauge goes off the scale when pressing the break and the indicators stop working when the break is on.

Im not very handy when it comes to electrics, does anyone have any pointers where I can start?

Very likely to be a bad earth and with the fuel sender unit and two indicator / brake light pods at the rear, the back is a good place to start.  Take the boot box out and check the light pods, fuel sender unit and earth wires there.  It's a vulnerable area for water ingress and road debris damage.

I dont know if its normal, but my rear ground point is a big thick wire stripped and wrapped around the top diff mounting bolt. It should probably have a proper termination crimped on, but who knows...

From my experience of bad earths over the last 2 years I would say the following:-

Never trust that your existing earth point at chassis is a good one. Change it.

Clean or change earth terminals if they look damaged, rusted or oxidized!

Yes use a proper terminal.

I am not an electrician. Just learned the hard way!

Either Bad earth or your car is turning into Christine .....

Either Bad earth or your car is turning into Christine .....

and how cool would that be :)

I dont know if its normal, but my rear ground point is a big thick wire stripped and wrapped around the top diff mounting bolt. It should probably have a proper termination crimped on, but who knows...

The loom at the rear should have a number of earth wires going to one big "crimped" lump (hidden under the loom tape)  that then goes back down to the earth point on the front chassis bulkhead (although some looms may differ I guess)

Although it'd do no harm to earth the loom at the rear of the chassis as well, I would pick a proper earth stud (I can't find any on mine) - clamping it under a suspension or diff mounting bolt may not guarantee a good connection (and bolts clamping straight onto copper wire will usually cut the copper if done up tight)

Thanks everyone, I'll start at the back lookin for loose connections. Fingers crossed.

check the loom plugs first on the rear lights.