Garage shelving

BudSlater

Looking to tidy up the garage so need to invest in some shelves to put things on so,they are not on the floor.

Looking around, there are some nice bolt less ones (https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/csr5150b-150kg-boltless-shelving-black) but I'm sure there's someone on here who has been there, done that with regards to shelves. The garage is 5m wide so not massive but there are a variety of pipes / cables that I need to work around, so it would be good to have a workbench constructed out of one of these combinations.

Any advice appreciated

I made a work bench out if an old pax wardrobe on its side and a bunch if ikea shelves I had lying about. The previous one was made of old pallets and a 1 sheet if ply from b amd q.

Always found that building my own worked best for me to fit in a space and as I often used old wood and 1 sheet of cheap stuff For the top i never minded when I drilled holes in it by accident or anything. If I really mullerd it I just replaced the top and as I requirements changed I just re did them. Granted it takes a bit longer to put together but you really are free to do what you like

I got two sets of the Machine Mart bolt less 400mm deep shelves (in red)

To be honest I wasn't expecting much but was really pleasantly surprised. Really quite solid once assembled and with some weight on, steady as a rock.

For the money, genuine 4.5 stars, only knocked a half off cos the MDF shelves will soak up any liquids (oil probably)

All my shelving is made out of 3x2 with 10mm plywood for the shelves, It'll literally hold a ton and was inexpensive to build, it also fits the space perfectly :)

I'm building my home cinema wall out of 3x2 PSE and it is mighty stuff. Especially if you notch out the joins..!

Those will be strong shelves...

I bought from www.bigdug.co.uk

Did the job and no problems…. :)

Wowsers, nearly 40 quid delivery charge for some plastic shelves!

I had a set of wooden shelves from Ikea (similar to some of those above, but made from wood, They were going free at work just before the redundancies went around, they were very cheap, but held quite a bit of weight back in the day.

They sat in the back of my garage since 2008, covered in car bits and tools/etc, but due to size and fitting of my work bench they were stripped down and turned into wall shelves using some of those old metal shelf brackets from my GFs grandfather.

So the shelf brackets were free, shelf wood was free, my work bench was a 3m kitchen work surface (£28), the cupboard unit underneath was on special at B&Q for £22 and the steel legs for the other end were about £20.

You really don't need to spend silly money to get your garage tidy. Spend it on the car instead :d

My cheapskate solution (from L to R):

Ikea s/s draw unit (very heavy-duty drawers) bought from the stores ‘damaged area’ -  £20 

Bunch of stacking boxes from a nearby factory that were in a corner of their goods area - “Feel free to take ‘em away, mate"

Used worktop and some cupboards sourced from a fitted-kitchen company (they have to take the customers old stuff out before fitting the their new stuff) - cost me a tenner and a box of biscuits

Pine desk, saw it going unused in a friends shed and cost me two bottles of wine

DVE_7890_zps87228763.jpg

DVE_7521_zpsc29d86c0.jpg

Did I mention I was a cheapskate???

R

Kitchen unit carcasses for not so heavy stuff - these were B & Q about £30 each if I remember.

And some high level storage for less frequently used and heavier stuff (as long as you are not going to injure yourself getting it up there!)

This stuff is the full length of my garage and uses decking timber and high load brackets (80 to 120 Kg per bracket depending on size) .

Worth noting that these high load brackets are £10 each from B&Q but 10 for £26 from Screwfix,

Shelving

• Like 1

Very neat and I just spotted your jack, I've got one of those LOL, it looks ace wall mounted, looks like a hunting trophy...

..and alongside it the matching aluminium axle stands from Clarke too, luxuries really but you know when your daughters say 'what do you want for Christmas Dad'  and you are a spoiled dad...

Keep an eye on that jack, nuts and bolts on mine initially started to work loose pulling it around on a rough floor, it is great now I have used some lock nuts, spring washers etc. (not in the same place)

Jim

I bought a few £50 per boltless ones (five in all) from an Amazon trader (free P&P) and they really are pretty good. One set below:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003N2F8XQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=14C0I4MNQ2M9X&coliid=I2QUH8Z250ZUPP

DSCF5414_zpse8a31540.jpg

(uber ponce hipster mode on)

up-cycling and free-cycling is very now and the way to go.

And you can't get it cheaper than free ;)

799018860.jpg

Straight from my local Freecycle group into my garage :yes: